Chapter 30

Shantivan

It had been few days since they returned back from Agra, and Khushi kept tabs on Shyam's health often. The thought of bringing him back to Shantivan lingered on her mind, but Arnav's total opposition stopped her from pestering him more about the same. The other incident that bothered the couple two days back was about Khushi's internship at New York, where Arnav was too persistent in convincing her to take up the offer, whilst she had no mood to leave the man and the family she grew attached to.

'Khushi!' She heard Arnav Singh Raizada's dejected tone, as he entered his room.

'How could you deny such a prestigious internship?' He came straight to the point, without beating around the bush.

'But how did you know?' She questioned him back, as she did not share about her denial yet to anybody.

'I have my sources!' He shrugged.

Striding towards her, fixing his eyes onto hers, he spoke, 'You are an independent woman, Khushi. Something that I admire a lot, is that you have weaved dreams and worked for it. Now, when the opportunity arises, I do not appreciate you losing it'.

'Arnav, please', her protests were resisted by him.

'Please!' He pleaded, 'For me', he requested, something she could not deny. But her heart ached at the impending separation had she accepted.

Defeated, she sighed and nodded her head positively, that brought a smile blooming on his lips which reflected in his eyes. Khushi's heart danced in joy as the contended look in his face was soothing her soul. She could do anything for that small smile of his! Anything!

'That's like my good girl!' He appreciated, patting her cheeks gently.

Just then, they heard a knock on their door.

'Arnav baba! Subadraji is in pain', Radha kaki informed with a panic stricken face.

In a swift move, Arnav and Khushi rushed to aid Dadi, whose cancer pain had recurred, which the doctor had informed them prior.

After admitting her in the hospital, Khushi took charge of the procedures as Arnav was too weak to witness his Dadi in pain. Every single time she suffered, his heart paced with the thought of a worst outcome, but managed to be stoic. Except that, this time, it was different. After many years, Arnav Singh Raizada felt the need to share his responsibility and vent out his agony. He needed to be himself. The bottled up emotions of pain, misery surpassed the threshold, urging to be discharged. When Khushi actively communicated with the doctors, he happily gave away his role, to find himself and his feelings. He wanted to put an end to his facade of being strong. He was vulnerable, he was human after all!

Khushi found her husband seated in one of the couches, his face dipped in his palms, his hands shivering as he let his tears down his eyes.

Without any prior notice, Khushi crouched near him and took him in her embrace, running smooth circles at his back, caressing his hair with the other hand, while he sobbed onto her shoulders, letting away the pain he was enduring since few years.

'She will be fine, Arnav', though her voice cracked, she put up a strong face.

She felt his hands enveloping her, as he found his solace in her arms. He crushed her to himself, holding her tight, as though a child fears to let his mother go. Without any words exchanged, Arnav allowed his pain fade away, while Khushi took pleasure in destroying his agony.