01

Chapter 1: Coffee and Sticky note

Iris woke up to her alarm's sound. A groan escaped her mouth, showing the unwillingness to leave the cozy warmth that her weighted blanket provided and pillows she hugged to sleep.

She snoozed off her alarm and went back to sleep.

After messing around with the alarm clock a few times, she finally woke up. Stretching in her bed and yawning loudly, she reluctantly woke up.

Getting down from the bed, she picked up her phone and scrolled through the notifications and her schedule. She rubbed her eyes.

I need coffee.

She mumbled to herself as she splashed some cold water on her face to wake herself completely. Iris looked at herself in the mirror.

'Be happy mom and dad would be proud of what you achieved,' she reminded, lightly slapping her face.

'You have a car and an apartment with a stable income while paying off the loans without missing the date. How many 19-year-olds can achieve it,' she boosted herself.

After giving herself a mini ted Talk, she changed her clothes from pj's to something presentable yet comfortable and grabbed her car keys, getting out of her apartment.

The early morning buzz around the city people walking on streets commuting to their offices and destinations. Her drive to the nearest cafe was short and blur. Her blank face turned to a smile for the world to see as she got out of her car and entered the café in fresh spirits.

"What may I get you," the barista asked. "A caramel macchiato with extra sugar and everything bagel," Iris smiled. "Here or take away," asked the man, typing her order. "Take away," she answered. She waited for her order to get made as she went to a seat near the glass wall. The slow indie music playing in the background and the faint smell of freshly brewed coffee entered her system.

Iris closed her eyes and relished the ambiance it provided

She looked out of the glass wall while she tapped the table in waiting. Her eyes wander at the slightest detail on the road. How a girl dropped her wallet, and a gentleman picked it up and returned it. They soon talked about something, making the girl laugh as they exchanged the numbers.

Man in a blue suit running in a hurry- probably running late for an appointment. A girl in her teens, walking down the street with her dog and a cup of coffee. Like that, many people walking or running in haste, occupied with their own lives.

Her thought process halted as a few pages flew by her. She flinched at the sudden movement. Then she regained her composure and bent down to pick up the papers lying down on the floor. Looking around, she saw the pages flew from the side table. She got up and put the pages on the respective table.

Her eyes trailed over the contents of the paper, pausing over a few words for a bit. A sigh escaped her lips. The owner of the document is nowhere near. 'Should I or should I not,' she asked herself. Having a mini internal battle, she picked up the sticky notes and a pen lying on the table.

Taking out her phone from her pocket, she typed in a few words and got the results. Analyzing them with a glimpse, she established a few suggestions in her mind.

Quickly writing a few words, she pasted them on the top of the papers. Drawing a smiley face in the end, she placed the pen back at its original position.

Her original thought process to write that note was simply because she didn't want the owner to get tricked by such underhanded maneuvers. It was done purely as an act of kindness.

"Order 7," the man spoke from behind her.

Iris went and collected her order and left the cafe.

"Girly, are you coming? Flint and I are waiting for you before starting the meeting," Rhea spoke from the phone. "I am on my way," she answered, getting into her car.

Slowly and savoringly taking sips of her coffee while driving to her friend's house- listening to the morning radio. Yet completely forgetting about the words she just wrote and how big of a ripple it was to create.

Little did she know her few words were going to change her entire life.

To be continued...