05

Chapter 5 - Taking over the mind

"Come in," Jasper replied.

He turned around to see a beautiful little woman in front of him. His eyes lingered over her tiny 5'2 stature. She had a round face, and doe eyes made her appear even younger. Her beautiful brown curls contrast to her pale skin, made her look adorable.

Her caramel eyes looked at him anxiously. Unlike their stoics faces, one could read her expressions like an open book.

"Please have a seat," he smiled at her. She hesitantly walked and seated herself. He could tell how guarded and nervous she was.

"Hi I am Iris," she introduced herself. "Which you already know. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here," her cheeks reddened at the realization.

"Yes, Iris," his smile widened. Her name rolled off his tongue like butter. His eyes focused on her rosy blush, which was still pale compared to her plump red lips.

Elias's shrewd obsidian eyes remained on her. Iris shifted uncomfortably under his penetrating gaze.

Such a harmless little thing, he thought.

How could such a naïve-looking thing find such hidden information? Again, one should never judge a book by its cover.

Her eyes remained on the floor as she fiddled with the hem of her skirt. Jasper mused at how uneasy she looked. He wondered if they kept the silence. Would she cry?

"Relax," Elias finally spoke up. He frowned at how she looked like a frightened cat.

"Ahh, y-yes," she peeped at him. Elias watched how quickly she broke eye contact and focused on the vase beside him. He controlled his urge to laugh at her. Even Jasper watched everything with amusement.

"Would you like coffee Iris," Jasper asked, walking to the countertop, which had a coffee machine. "No thanks," she politely replied. He poured himself a cup of coffee and sat in front of her. Elias sat beside his brother, his eyes never leaving her.

Jasper knew his brother wouldn't speak much. So he talked instead. 'He always makes me talk,' he grumbled and complained in his mind.

"Long story short. We would like you to work for us," Jasper sipped the bitter coffee.

"NO!," she exclaimed.

Their eyes darkened at the immediate refusal. A feeling of irritation rose in them. But they threw the plan of killing the person if they do not agree out of the window the moment she arrived, and they didn't know why.

"I meant to say I am not qualified for such a job. I even skipped college. You can hire someone way more deserving than me," she carefully explained, an embarrassed blush on her cheeks.

Elias's eyes remained on her flushed face. He enjoyed seeing her expressions and how she reacted like an oblivious cat.

"The note says other things," Elias mused. Leaning back on the sofa he looked at the little girl in front of him suspiciously. Undeserving? Under qualified? He didn't believe her words at all.

"It was sheer luck. I heard about it from my friend," she tried explaining. Quickly giving them a sheepish smile, her dimples showing.

Working for years, they had made many people. Catching a lie for them was very easy. Not to mention when the girl in front of them was terrible at it.

Jasper chuckled at her silly attempt at a lie.

"Really?" Jasper leaned forward and placed his chin on his hand. His voice contained mirth but he didn't call her out.