53

Chapter 53. Breaking Promises [part 1]

Iris stumbled backward, her eyes bulging in terror as she clutched at her throat, trying to breathe. Her throat burned as if a thousand fiery needles were piercing her windpipe.

With a thud, she fell to her knees, the cold marble floor sending a shiver up her spine. She gasped for air, her chest heaving as she struggled to fill her lungs.

Each breath felt like an uphill battle, her body screaming for oxygen as she fought to stay conscious. The room spun around her, her labored breathing filling her ears as she fought for survival.

She did not realize when Liwei had escaped.

"Pathetic," a snarky voice went blurred through her mind.

It was the woman in pink, watching her with a sly smirk on her face. Iris's gasping breaths were a pleasure- her laughter echoed through the room. "This is what you get for stealing what's mine," she spat, her words dripping with venom.

Iris could see the satisfaction in the woman's eyes as she watched her suffer. It was as if her pain was a trophy for the woman to display.

The woman in pink crouched down, her grip tightening on Iris's hair as she pulled her up to face her. Iris's tear-stricken face smudged with makeup, her breaths still coming in ragged gasps. The woman's eyes scanned Iris's features with curiosity and disdain.

"I wonder why they did this to you," she mused with a twisted smile. "I should send them some gifts," she added, the malice in her voice sending shivers down Iris's spine.

"What do you have that I don't?" the woman asked, tilting her head to the side. "I am richer, prettier, and curvier. What do you have that I lack?" she wondered out loud.

Iris's lips twisted in disgust, her eyes narrowing as she looked at the woman. "Maybe a personality," she muttered, her voice hoarse. The woman's nails dug deeper into her scalp, causing pain to shoot through her head.

"This bitch-" she raised her hand to slap Iris.

"What the fuck is going on?"

A loud voice made the woman flinch as she turned around. The Sinclair brothers were here, and they looked livid.

They took in the scene before them, with Iris on the ground, gasping for air, and the woman in pink standing over her, smirking. Their anger was palpable, radiating from their bodies in waves.

What the hell happened when they were gone?

Where are her bodyguards?

Elias's jaw clenched. They were going to die.

"J-jasper," the woman's voice squeaked out, anyone going to see the fear pooling in her eyes? "It doesn't look what you think. Trust me-"

Jasper's eyes blazed with anger as he lunged toward the woman, his fingers curling around her throat. She gasped for air, her eyes bulging with fear as she struggled to break free.

The room was silent except for Jasper's heavy breathing and the woman's wheezing gasps. His grip tightened, and the veins in his arms bulged as he squeezed harder.

The woman's face turned red, then purple, as she struggled to breathe. Her hands clawed at Jasper's arm, trying to pry it away from her throat, but he was too strong.

Jasper's face was contorted with rage as he stared down at the woman, his jaw clenched tightly. He didn't believe her for a second, not after what he had seen with his own eyes.