[2] The witch

Jennie POV

It's been a long ass night! I pursuaded the guy they called Jackson to get at least four hours of distance between us and the clearing where the wolves had attacked. I did my best trying to conceil their human scent with my powers but there was only so much I could do. I definitely felt the decrease in my powers. The unexpected fight had taken a lot out of me. I knew I needed to recharge soon. But I couldn't have possibly let those canine monsters kill this innocent group of humans. 

Thank the deities they had motorcycles. So we were able to get a good distance between us and the battlefield that we left behind quite fast. Since I was on foot, they let me ride on the back of the muscular guy's bike. He introduced himself as Namjoon. He was genuinely nice and easily trusting. I could tell. 

The girls Chaeyoung and Jisoo seemed really sweet too. Their boyfriends Jackson and J-hope were quite level-headed, practical people as far as I could tell. Jackson was the one they all listened to. Their leader, I guessed. And J-hope was something like his right hand man. He was also the one who tried to lighten the situation with little jokes here and there. Predominantly making the girls smile. Suga was still very hesitant towards me and kept eyeing my every move suspiciously. 

And then there was Lisa.

The third girl of the group. Although she kind of seemed to have a rather boyish demeanour. I had a hard time figuring her out from afar. She hadn't talked to me again after outing me to everyone as a witch. I felt her eyes on me almost constantly though. She was watching me silently just like Suga was. Only the vibe that she was giving off was quite a different one. 

I felt myself drawn to her and I couldn't fathom why. Earlier, when one of the girls, Chaeyoung, was stitching up Lisa's injured shoulder and she hissed in pain, my heart had clenched at the sound of it. 

Only for a second but it had shocked me. 

Something like this has never happened to me before. I had paused to look over at her and when our eyes met, I felt a very strange gravitational pull.

A bit confused I had shaken it off and gone back to my task at hand.

It was already early morning when we put up camp at the new location. I made sure we were still near a water source. Not just for the human's benefit though. 

"I'm gonna put up a protection field around us." I told Jackson.

He nodded. I could see in his eyes how tired he was. "I don't exactly know what that means but it sounds good." He wiped his hand over his face exhaustedly.

"It's like an invisible barrier. If something bad wants to get through I will feel it and I can hold it off until we are either ready to move or ready to fight."

"The guys really need to sleep though..." he motioned over to his friends. "Namjoon and Lisa need to heal. Fortunately Lisa heals faster but still..." he trailed off. My ears perked up instantly though. What did he mean Lisa healed faster? Faster than humans? Was she not human? Or did she just heal fast despite being human?

My thoughts were disturbed by another voice. "We're all set up. The girls are already sleeping." It was J-hope.

"Good." Jackson nodded at him thankfully and patted his shoulder brotherly. "Jennie here does some protective magic and we should all catch some sleep."

"Right. That's what I wanted to ask. Does she... uhm... sorry..." he went to address me directly "...do you... need... a place to sleep? You travel rather... light." His eyes swept over me, clearly noticing my lack of a travelbag or anything of the sort.