[60] The search

LISA POV

I drifted in and out of consciousness. 

My arms were magically trapped against the damp wall over my head. My feet barely touching the ground so to make this as uncomfortable as possible. 

My body was exhausted while my heart was in a panic whenever I was fully awake. I'd been in this cave for hours. The shoulder that had been injured more than once in the past couple of months was really protesting by now. The pain was only outshined by the dull ache in my chest from being forced away from Jennie.

The cave was completely sealed off, except for an underwater tunnel. It had been created by the witch's magic. I had watched her do it. As little as I knew about witches, I had gathered pretty quickly that she was an earth witch, capable of bending the ground and even solid rock to her will. 

Jennie's earth magic was beautiful but this witch had something dark surrounding her. An aura so toxic, it was hard to look at her.

I hated the woman who turned out to be Jennie's mother with a passion unmatched. I had never literally hated anyone before that. 

"seems like my daughter doesn't love you the way you thought she did. She's still around. She obviously doesn't care if I kill you or not."

"Just let me fucking go!" I growled with clenched teeth. It was hot in the cave and the air was stale. I was sweating from the strain of my magical shackles and the lack of airflow. I had scrapes on my arms and legs from when she had dragged me by my hair through narrow cave tunnels. She could have used magic to force me along but no, she had dragged me across the dirty ground like a dog.

All because I had led her daughter astray from the path she was supposed to take. 

"I really can't do that little fairy. You'll have to hang on for a few more hours until I relieve you of this life." 

I breathed in and out shakily, trying not to let her words get to me. I didn't want to show her any fear even though I was scared to death. Scared that Jennie wouldn't come for me. That her mother had actually hit a nerve and that she might go back on her promise now to be with me.

Maybe power was more alluring than love to a witch like Jennie.

This witch wasn't planning on letting me go. Whatever Jennie would do, her mother would kill me anyway to make sure she got her way. 

"You told her you'd let me go! She will turn on you if you kill me!" I snarled angry and desperate. My shoulder was burning. The pain was insufferable and I bit my lips hard not to let it show, trying to breath through it. Trying not to loose consciousness yet again.

I'd been through worse physically. But the last time I was injured Jennie was by my side, making things so much better. Making my body feel cared for and my heart feel comforted. This time I was alone and fucking scared.

"Darling..." the dark witch laughed evily. "That's exactly what I need her to do. Turn dark, so we can start over... together."

"Jennie is a good person." I growled at her full of anger. "with a good heart. What you're doing is not fucking fair!"

The witch sighed deeply as if I was annoying her. Yet, she stepped over to me and let her task go of brewing some potion in the corner. She faced me. "You don't know my daughter at all, do you?" She actually snickered. 

The build of her face looked so much like my little witch. They even had the same birth mark under their eyebrow. The same feline eyes. Yet, within Jennie I had always been able to see warmth. Even when she was trying to keep us apart. Deep within her gaze was always this warmth towards me. Her mother didn't have that. She was empty. Cold.