[44] The time's running out

JENNIE POV

Time was running out.

After an indulgent morning in bed with Lisa like we promised each other the night before, we dutyfully visited Jackson. 

Lisa did her best to project her healing powers onto our leader while I tried to scan his body for the curse that had taken over. I still had the hope that I could somehow grab it like I had done with Lisa's curse and force it out of him. 

The man that Jackson once was, looked more like a walking skeleton now. His eyes were deep set and rimmed darkly, he had lost weight and muscles and his voice was weak and scratchy. I noticed that Chaeyoung always had silent tears running down her chipmunk cheeks whenever she looked at her husband for too long. 

I found it hard to look at him as well but I couldn't even begin to imagine how the pink-haired girl had to feel. Lisa's face was mostly stoic, except when she tried to be lighthearted and joking with him but I could tell that she felt horrible too. 

More than telling from the way she looked at her friend, I could also feel her emotions more and more now. It was like I had developed a steady connection to her and her powers when she was close.

My hands ran over Jackson's body, touching his aura but not really touching him. I felt the dark magic within and I felt it grow stronger. There was nothing that I could do that wouldn't kill Jackson along the way as well. By now I was sure that Lisa's healing ability was only prolonging his death but not stopping it. 

He would inevitably die and leave us all behind. Leave a devastated wife behind. And friends who loved him dearly. My eyes welled up with tears that I couldn't stop the moment he met my gaze. 

"What's wrong Jen?" He asked but that made me well up even more. Lisa looked up from what she was doing. She looked from me to Jackson but I couldn't look at her. I laid my hand comfortingly on Jackson's shoulder as he was lying on his bed and gave him a watery smile before I fully tapped into my mate's powers and made his mind fall asleep.

The tall man was in the middle of smiling back warmly when his eyes closed and he dozed off. Lisa gasped, not knowing what happened. "Jackson!"

I held her back with a gentle hand because she was about to crowd into his face with a panic in her eyes. "He's just sleeping."

"How do you know???" She gaped at me with disbelieving eyes. She had grown as white as a sheet in shock.

"Because I made him sleep." I mumbled lowly, looking at his face once more.

"Didn't know you could do that." Lisa stared blankly at me but slowly went back to her task of projecting her healing after knowing that her friend was ok. 

"I can't, but your powers can."

She faced me again and sighed, her shoulders moving with her. We looked at each other.

"We need to figure this out." She told me matter-of-factly and I nodded at her silently, not loosing her eye contact.

"He's running out of time... I can feel it."

I nodded again. "I can feel it too..."

*

Author: Sorry for being M.I.A. for so long. Writers block and then I went on a week and a half long vacation. This interlude chapter is short, I know!!!! But it's finally launching our heroes into action ;) Stay tuned my lovelies <3