[70] Conversations with the dead

JISOO POV

Since it was established that we would all stay living in the faye circle while Chaengie was in such a delicate state, I felt a lot calmer. I had deep down been worried about what we would do now. Because the world out there could be dangerous. Our food supply was depleted. Chaengie needed access to people with medical knowledge that I didn't have and also we had fought so much, the forest pretty much chewed us up and spat the remains out.

We needed a break. We needed stability and I was so glad and grateful to Irene and her friends for providing exactly that. For finally having answers for Jennie and Lisa. For a community that was even bigger than ours but loved each other just the same. They were a family just like we were.

It had been three months since we agreed to stay and Chaengie was slowly starting to show. She was well into her second trimester now as Solar told us. I was out by the small farmland the fairies nurtured, harvesting tomatoes with Namjoon when we saw Irene, J-hope and Lisa walking past the potatoe field. In their midst, a floating body covered in white canvas.

"What the-?" I stood up in a rush, making Namjoon snap his head up too. 

"What?"

"Look." I just told him and pointed. 

Lisa held her hand out towards the body while walking. Clearly, she was using her mate's magic to do it since Jennie was nowhere around.

"Is that...?" Namjoon put his bucket aside that he was collecting tomatoes in. I just nodded, not taking my eyes off the silent procession. The group walked past the vegetable fields to the very back of the circle. To the very back, where we all knew Seulgi was resting.

"Jackson."

I let my bucket fall and with one look at Namjoon we were up and sprinting after our friends. 

When we arrived at Seulgi's resting place, I took notice of the second dug up grave right next to Irene's mate. Lisa was almost done lowering the covered body into it with Jennie's levitating magic.

"What is this?" I asked loudly, not caring if I disturbed their silence in which they had obviously worked. Lisa looked over to us but said nothing. She and Irene did not seem suprised by our sudden appearance. The only one who had jumped just the tiniest bit, was J-hope.

"We couldn't stop thinking about how lonely he was." The boy spoke up with a scratchy voice. I was able to hear the sadness within him just from the way he spoke. He was my ex after all. I knew him and I felt an instant pang at seeing him sad. But it was still nothing compared to the way I felt when Chaeyoung was sad.

"Irene offered that he could rest here instead." Lisa now spoke too while she levitated the dirt and gravel that lay as a heap right next to the grave. She covered the body with it gently. The faye girl had gotten so much better at using Jennie's magic. Jennie had told me it was because of the bonding.

"He'll be at peace here. With my Seulgi." Irene whispered, not even looking up to any of us but crouching down to her mate's resting place that was overgrown with the most beautiful flowers. Butterflies and fireflies were swarming about softly and one of them landed on Irene's open palm. "Maybe they can become friends."

I just stood there a little paralized. "Have you told Chaengie?"

I didn't know what to feel about Jackson's body being resettled here. The thought of it was pure of course. Lisa and J-hope wanted their best friend to have a better resting place than out there in the open for all the animals to eventually find him. Here, where his friends and family could visit. Where his wife could visit and talk to him like Irene did with Seulgi.