[18] The frenemy

JENNIE POV

My night had been terrible. My mind was reeling with the things that Lisa had said. The things she wanted. The things I couldn't give her. Don't get me wrong, I liked the fairy girl a lot. I felt things for her that I've never felt for anybody else before. 

I had drifted in and out of sleep all night long, despite being exhausted from the day. I wasn't ignorant enough to dismiss the fact that I missed Lisa next to me. She'd been with me throughout the last eleven days. Day and night. Even though I hadn't been awake for ten of those days, I had felt her constant presence. I had in fact felt safe and protected. 

The pull inside of me was the most satisfied when Lisa was close. The best feeling was a tingly warmth when I was in her arms or on her lap. Of course kissing felt really great also. 

But I knew it was all the ancient magic between us. I wasn't sure how much of those feelings  actually came from me and my heart? I did not like to be fooled. Especially by foreign magic. I had to find out more about it. I did not know how just yet... but I had to. 

I noticed Chaeyoung's wary eyes on me all morning ever since she saw me coming out of my nest and Lisa coming out of her tent. Separately.

When it was time to mount the motorcycles for another day of driving, I made my way over to the fairy girl after having helped Jisoo with some heavy baggage. Lisa had only smiled softly at me during breakfast in greeting but we hadn't exchanged actual words yet. 

She was done packing her bike and turned around just in time to see me coming towards her, ready to go. I did not hesitate to believe that she still wanted me to drive with her. And I did not want to upset her by going back to driving with Namjoon. Besides, I needed to satisfy the constant inner pull a little. That was something that neither of us could escape really.

"Hey." Her eyes were soft for me, despite me being so hard on her last night.

"Hey."

"Bad night?" she asked, scanning my tired face.

"Shitty night." I told her honestly. There was no use for me to lie to Lisa.  

"Same." She nodded at me and reached for my hand to help me climb on her bike. 

It was actually kind of nice that there was one person who I did not have to pretend with. It was absolutely useless to build a wall to keep Lisa out because her powers could break through them anyways. Sure, I was still keeping things from her. Like the story about my parents. I was sure though, that if she really wanted, she could force her powers on me and find out easily. But I knew she would never do that. 

Anyways, it was refreshing not having to put on a strong face in front of Lisa when I really did not feel strong. She always understood somehow. And she did not judge any of my messy emotions. I was very aware of how all over the place I was. Last night I had told her I couldn't be with her but then I kissed her. I actually gave myself whiplash and felt super frustrated about not knowing what I wanted. 

First, there was my fear of these strong feelings and the knowledge of their utterly destructive powers. 

Secondly, I needed to find out how on earth this soulmate magic worked and Lisa was no real help with that.

And thirdly, despite everything, I could not deny how good it felt when Lisa and I shared skin contact. And that threatened to overthrow point one and two.

Lisa pulled me up behind her and I wrapped my arms around her waist. There it was again. The tingly feeling inside my chest.

The drive went fine and we made camp again in the early afternoon. With Lisa's powers getting stronger still, we were able to determine the distance between us and the wolves. The possibility of them ambushing us again like they had done the last time, had become very slim. And that was a comforting thought.