[47] The edge of the forest

JENNIE'S POV

Jackson had spoken and non of them dared to contradict him. Not even Lisa. They prided themselves by saying their group was democratic but Jackson's word carried a different kind of weight around here. He was their rock. The one they followed. 

I glared at him and finally he looked at me, after meeting everyone else's eyes. "You don't look happy Jennie." It was an open statement and I huffed out a sarcastic little laugh. 

"Walking into an unknown battle is not something to be happy about." I deadpanned and he nodded gravely. 

"I know. But we have to. Chaeng told me how low we are on food... we need to get out before we all starve without even having tried to fight. I know it's nervewracking because we don't know what awaits us but there is no life for us in this forest."

I knew that he was right. Despite me still thinking we weren't as ready as I would like us to be, I couldn't deny that his judgment was right. The time had come. We had to move.

I pinched the bridge of my nose hard and exhaled audibly. Lisa who was still next to me, wrapped an arm around my waist and moved in to place a kiss to my temple. 

'They're all scared. Probably more than we are. But he's right Baby. There's no life for us here.' She told me in my head. I looked up at her, right into her ultraviolet eyes. Has that colour always been so beautiful? So utterly radiant? Or was I just becoming sentimental because we might die tomorrow?

Lisa chuckled because as always, she was able to hear my subconscious thoughts loud and clear. 

"We should start packing the motorcycles then, but only pack what you really need. Leave the rest behind!" J-hope spoke up, adressing the group. 

"Back to sleeping in tents then, I guess..." Jisoo muttered and got up. I noticed Chaeyoung looking conflictedly after her. 

'Does Chaengie know Jisoo and Hobe are broken up?' I asked Lisa in our mind connection. 

'I don't know... but they've been acting strange lately...' My fairy soulmate answered and pressed another kiss to my hair. I instantly relaxed more. She just had that effect on me.

'Maybe we should... take advantage of our powers just this once... and... make sure they're all ok... mentally?' I suggested carefully to Lisa. This thought had crossed my mind before. I knew Jisoo was keeping a secret. Who else did? Secrets were dangerous. Especially in a group like ours who had to rely on each other so much.

'You mean looking inside their heads without permission...???' Lisa thought back disapprovingly. 'We can't do that Jen, that's crossing a major line!' Her eyes turned dark on me.

I quickly turned and pulled Lisa back towards our home for more privacy. She went with me willingly. 

"Don't do that Jennie, it's not ok!"

"Would they even know if we did?"

"Why do you want to anyway?"

"Because Lisa, we're leaving safety tomorrow. That's hella scary. And we don't really know how the forest is going to stop us from leaving once we get to the edge. I want to make sure everybody is mentally stable."

"Baby... no one here is mentally stable. Not even you." She said it with the softest voice and held both my shoulders with her hands, making me really listen to her. "Don't do it."

"I'm really scared we might loose someone..." I admitted to my mate because it was obvious.

"I know..." Lisa took me into her arms without hesitation and I burried my face in her neck. "Me too."