[46] The last days in the circle

LISA POV

With Jennie controlling our sex life like that, I learned a lot faster than I would have otherwise. My little witch just knew how to get me to do things. She taught me all kinds of tricks with her powers. Levitating things was still hard for me but Jennie said it was the best defense technique that we could both use to throw an enemy off of our friends if one got too close. Especially too close to the girls. 

Jennie and I had decided that it was best for her to actively fight alongside the guys, while I was supposed to have their backs from further away. From on top of a tree or something. Jennie especially assigned the protection of the girls to me. Jisoo had gotten really good with her knives but Chaeyoung still struggled with the sword. Or with any weapon for that matter. She was not a fighter.

"I can put a protective shield around you, Chaengie. I just don't know how long I'll be able to uphold it while I'm fighting..."

After our daily training, we sat in a circle around the fire, eating the little food we still had, discussing battle strategies and catching up on each other's progress. We were running really low on food though. Even with everything that Jennie tried to grow magically, it wasn't enough for all of us anymore and the portions shrunk.  Our bodies needed more sustenance but there was nothing more that Jennie could do. 

The solution to all of our problems at this point, was to get out of this forest or die trying.

"I don't want a protective shield around me!" My best friend suddenly exclaimed heatedly to Jennie's suggestion. Chaeyoung looked mad. And she was almost never mad. Her gentle soul didn't allow it. But lately she had been terribly on edge about everything. 

We all understood of course. Given her current situation. But we weren't used to her flying off the handle like that. 

Jennie gaped at her for a second. Then said softly. "Ok... can I do something else to help then?"

Chaeyoung got up swiftly and threw her spoon on the ground with vigour. "You can for once include my husband in these discussions. I think he still has a say in what happens to him, doesn't he? It's no use to make him sleep all the time!" 

And she stormed off. However, she did not retreat into the stone home where her cursed husband lay, but vanished between fairy houses leading to the back of the circle. All eyes followed her in shameful silence. Jackson was a sensitive topic around here and nobody really knew how to handle it.

Jisoo got up immediately, ready to hurry after the pink-haired girl but I held her back with a firm hand on her shoulder. "Let me for once, ok?"

The older girl looked at me like she wanted to bite my head off and I fixed her with a dark stare of my own. 

"Let me go Lisa, I know how to calm her down!" There was a definite bite in her tone but I held her back and went after Chaengie instead. "She's my best friend, I can handle her."

Jisoo however did not stand down just yet. She reached out to grab my shoulder now, making me stop once more. "How would you know how she feels? Right now, you have everything that she is about to loose."

That hit home pretty deep and I felt even worse for my best friend. I caught Jennie's eye who just watched our exchange silently. They all did. But I was determined to be the one comforting Chaeyoung this time. I had neglected her for too long. 

"Chu, calm the fuck down! You aren't the only person on this earth that she needs." I yelled at her because she was holding me back so stubbornly. We both glared at each other but I noticed a very faint blush on Jisoo's cheeks and she seemed embarrassed. She backed off and loosened her grip on me.