[61] The cave

LISA POV

"the essence of a fairy."

My head was heavy. My eyes felt droopy. Every cell in my body was hurting. She must have knocked me out again.

"powerful stuff" I heard her cold voice, talking to herself as if I wasn't in the room.

My heart felt defeated. I had no idea how much time had passed since I had been kidnapped but Jennie was still not coming. Had she really abandoned me?

"now this should do it." The witch mumbled cheerily to herself.

I had no power to lift my head which had slumped to the side onto my raised shoulder uncomfortably but I tried to open my eyes to see what she was doing. Something stung in my arm. Even worse than my maltreated shoulder.

I looked up slowly and carefully and what I saw made me gasp in shock and shot another panic into my heart. There was a long needle in my arm. Ultraviolet magic seemed to seep out of it and right into the witch's cauldron. And then I realized with absolute dispair that she was somehow draining my power. I felt weaker by the second.

"Ah, I see you've come back once more." The witch turned around to look at me. I refused to look back. I closed my eyes hard and thought of Jennie. "Feisty little fairy thing are you."

I felt the witch's presence come closer and she grabbed my chin and jerked it in her direction. "Look at me Lisa." She snarled. Her face was so close to me, I felt it.

I breathed out defiantly and opened my eyes slowly to slits. "Fuck you!"

She laughed humourlessly. Cold. "So rude." She cackled. "When I want nothing more than thank you for your glorious help." The needle in my arm that was draining my essence was slowly killing me. I could feel it.

"Comes quite in handy that my defiant daughter's lover is a fairy and not just a simple human. Your death won't be completely useless."

I gathered all the saliva in my mouth and spit right in her face.

She jerked back shocked while agressively moving my jaw to the side so it hurt my neck. "You little bitch!" She wiped her face, completely disgusted and then moved in on me. I closed my eyes shut tight but I felt the sting of her slap all over the side of my face. It burned like hell. Still, it was worth it.

I wanted to fight back so hard. But I couldn't. My magic was compromised and even if it wasn't, I highly doubted that I had even the slightest chance against a dark witch like her. Suga had been right to be scared of Jennie in the beginning. For all we knew back then, she could have been just like her demon mother.

Only she wasn't.

But was she really not?

The spell that Jennie had used against the wolves all those weeks ago. The one that had left her unconscious for over a week, fighting to come back. It had been a dark one. I hadn't really noticed back then. Or realized what it meant. But my witch mate did use it again in the forest. Once more on purpose. And she knew exactly how to do it.

So, was Jennie really immune to dark magic? Or would it grab a hold of her as soon as I was gone because she had nothing left to fight for? Or had she already given me up?

Ever since Jennie came into our group she had been in survival mode. The forest had done everything trying to kill us. Jennie knew how to weaponize her powers and she had figured out in no time how to do it with mine. She had taught me herself how to kill with my powers. Was it really just survival or had Jennie always had those dark tendencies?