[12] The pain

LISA POV

We stayed in the water with Jennie until Chaeyoung and Namjoon started complaining about numb legs. I did not even feel it anymore. Between the blinding pain from my dislocated shoulder and the equally painful fear of loosing something that I never knew I wanted, the cold water did not even get to me.

"But... she hasn't woken up yet!" I protested with stinging tears behind my eyes when Namjoon waded out of the water, carrying Jennie to dry land.

"She probably needs to rest Lisa, we'll take her back to the water again later ok? I'll even make Jackson do it for you." My best friend whispered softly into my ear while holding me close. I could feel her whole body shivering. "And we need to put your shoulder back where it belongs so you can heal."

With subtle force she guided me out of the stream. I realized only now that the other boys and Jisoo had made a big fire. I also noticed that the magic fog was gone completely. The wind must have carried it away and the air was nice and clear and most importantly it wasn't cold anymore. 

"Where should I bring Jennie?" Namjoon looked around for any guidance. I saw him looking at her nest up high in the trees but we had absolutely no means of getting her up there. I did certainly not have the power to levitate anything or anyone.

"Into my tent." I answered with my most 'do-not-dare-to-question-me-right-now' voice. He nodded obediantly and steered towards my tent. I wanted to follow but Chaeyoung pulled me elsewhere. 

"Chaeng!" I protested desperately, looking over my shoulder to try and see if Namjoon was gentle enough with my witch.

"No, Lisa!" Chaeyoung's authoritive voice came through. "I need to take care of your shoulder! Then we can see what else we can do for Jennie, ok?"

All of my feelings overwhelmed me when my best friend dragged me away with a strength I didn't know she had. The pull to be close to Jennie was hurting my whole body. Adding to the physical pain that I was already feeling and the emotional pain that made it hard to breath. 

"I can't leave her! She's... If she dies... I... " I started sobbing quietly, turning my face into Chaeyoung's shoulder. I couldn't help it. It was too much. Too much pain. Too much fear. 

The moment I had spotted Jennie lying on the damp ground, motionless, with Suga holding her limb wrist, I had felt like dying. And everything became crystal clear to me. As much as I I had struggled against succumbing to these feelings, keeping my distance to Jennie and trying to convince myself that I was not made for a committment like that, the moment I thought I lost her, I knew that I wanted nothing more in life than her.

I wanted her to live. And I wanted to be everything for her. Everything she would ever need. I wanted her love and a life with her just like the ancient fairy magic had planned for us. And I felt horrible and desperate that I might not get the chance to have all that after all. That I realized far too late what was important. And that I had not protected her when she needed me the most.

"Shhh, Lisa. She's not going to die. She's a strong woman." Chaeyoung shushed me gently and I felt her hand slip into mine comfortingly. She led me over to the fire where it was warm, sitting both of us down. Out of the corner of my blurry eyes, I saw Jackson drop a blanket over Chaeyoung's shoulders and not a second later another one was softly dropped over my lap since we were both dripping wet from the stream. 

The warmth of the fire helped. But my heart still felt as cold as ice. Frozen in fear of loosing the one girl that my soul had been waiting for. 

I tried to control the little sobs that were still coming out of me, willing them to stop. My eyes found leverage in the playful flames of the fire and I let myself be hyptnotized while I felt my friend's hands on me.