[26] The couples therapy

LISA POV

Elphias had disappeared and Jennie looked at me with a mix of emotions I could not name. And I looked back without saying anything. That was quite a bit of information to process.

We weren't holding hands anymore but Jennie offered me hers again without slipping from our eye contact. I took it and my eyes flashed. Sometimes, feeling each other's emotions was just easier than talking. 

Jennie felt overwhelmed but grounded at the same time. She was happy that what we felt towards each other was real and she sent thoughts of promises to me that she would try harder for us.

'I'm sorry I freaked out on you. I won't do it again.' I apologized for the second time to make it clear how sorry I really was. 

'I understand the freak-out. Seriously. And I'm kind of glad that I'm not the only person having them for once.' She replied with her thoughts in my head and sent me a sly little grin.

I just snickered back but I felt my cheeks warm up. For anybody watching us, we must have looked like lovesick fools. Sitting there, holding hands and doing nothing but smiling at each other. 

"Do you think it's possible...that..." Jennie spoke out loud after a short while of silence between us. "that... my parents were actual soulmates too?"

"What makes you think that?"

"It's just what he said... about... certain species being more sensitive to it than others. My Dad obviously couldn't have felt it except that he knew he loved my mother... but my mother being a witch and everything... she must have felt it... like I feel it... It could be true, right?"

She looked at me with eyes that had just understood something. "I mean, why else would she fall so hard for a human, who she knows won't be with her for long?"

I shook my head. "I don't know... they could have been soulmates, I guess"

"Maybe she's actually living with the ache of not having her mate by her side... that's horrible isn't it?" I saw tears start to gather in my witch's ocean blue eyes but she did not let them fall. I felt her rising panic from deep within and she gasped for air a little. 

'What if one of us dies and the other has to live with the same ache Lisa?' She switched to talking to my mind again. Even her thoughts in my head sounded choked and I instantly shuffled closer and wrapped my arms around her but loose enough so she could breathe. I leaned my nose into her soft cheek and concentrated on her inner turmoil. 

I took a deep breath and willed myself to be calm for her and not panic myself that this could be the moment Jennie would bolt and leave me behind simply because she couldn't do all this.

I breathed calmly through my nose and concentrated on Jennie's emotions. It was the first time that I ever tried to project my feelings onto somebody else. I tried to share my calmness with her, only I didn't want her to feel it was forced. 

'Nini, neither of us will die.' I told her in my head. She was breathing shakily in my arms and I heard her spiralling thoughts. 

'This is exactly what I'm afraid of Lisa and what I vowed I would never put myself through!'

'I know Baby, but... we are stronger. We will be so much stronger. We won't die. We will kick this fucking forest's ass. Let's fight. Together.' 

My efforts seemed to work because she calmed down a bit and melted into me more. I retreated my mind from hers quickly because three words, eight letters were swirling around in the back of my head, coming closer to the front everytime I looked into my mate's eyes for too long.