[39] The curse

Author: chapter 38 and 39 have been switched so please make sure you read 38 before this. Still trying to figure out how to fix it because it never seems to save the settings when I try to fix it...

LISA POV

It had been a really shitty night. Neither Jennie, nor I really slept much. I drifted in and out of sleep in between episodes of either terribly freezing, despite being wrapped up snuggly and feeling so hot that I thought my skin would melt off my bones any second. On top of that, the stitches on my back were burning and aching and I felt them stretch uncomfortably everytime I dared to breathe in too deep.

My little witch had been by my side through it all.

My former self would have shut everyone out, suffering in complete solitude with Chaeyoung being the only one who was allowed to see me like this, much less touch me. But Jennie had broken through my walls long ago and I couldn't help but follow my instinct to trust my mate utterly and completely.

After Chaeyoung had left us, Jennie had carefully undressed me until I was only in my underwear. She had placed wonderfully cold cloths on my limps to cool my body down. I had fought her like a little child when she wanted to put one on my stomach too because the sensation was just too cold for my heated skin but she got her way in the end anyhow.

All throughout the night, she made me drink a cup of water every hour or so and I had to admit that it felt good to be this cared for. 

It was some time in the eary hours of the morning now and I watched my little witch sleep lightly next to me. I lay on my back, which she let me do eventually, beside her initial worries about my stitches because it was more comfortable to me as long as I didn't move too much. Jennie lay on her side facing me and breathing softly through her mouth. I raked my eyes over her calm face. She was the most beautiful person I had ever met. Inside and out. 

Sure, she had her issues. But so did I. 

The universe had made the two of us as one, hoping that one day we would find the other. And I could totally see why. She absolutely completed me. Magically and otherwise. I was so in love with my little witch. As I looked into her sleeping face, I had a sudden flashback to the moment I thought I was really going to leave her. 

I had been in her arms, bleeding and weak. Hardly able to keep my blurry eyes open. My body had wanted to give in to the darkness but my mind had stayed strong a little while longer. Jennie begged me to take them back into the circle so we wouldn't all die out there in the forest. I was so close to giving in to the faint feeling in my head when Jennie's lips pressed down on my ear and told me something that was worth fighting for.

Lili please don't leave, I love you. 

My breath hitched in my throat as the memory of her words echoed through my head. 

My little witch loved me. And she had told me so in the most heartclenching, tear-soaked voice that it was hard not to believe her. 

I love you so much... I can't breathe without you...

I felt the butterflies roam my stomach and the feeling spread through me. I even felt it in my fingertips. I had never felt like that before. But just looking at my little witch was enough to send my heart into a frenzy. It was scary and wonderful at the same time.

"I love you too baby" I whispered out faintly into the semi-darkness and watched Jennie stirr lightly. My fever, as Chaeyoung had called it, must have gone down sometime during the night thanks to Jennie's help and probably my own enhanced healing. Now there was only a burning pain ripping through my upper back and shoulder as I lay as still as possible to not make it worse. It felt like every single stitch on my back was pulsing.