0.1

"Sgt. Carmichael sir, you have a call," my assistant told me as I walked away from the drill line.
" Ok I will take it in my office"

I sat behind the desk that I will leave behind to return home. To a place I have not been in so many years. I received the call from my little brother when my mother found out she had cancer. She has been responding to the treatment wonderfully. It is still time for me to go home.

"Sgt. Carmichael"
" Hey bro...sounding all important and shit." My brother responded,
" Mom okay?"
" Yeah, she is doing good...hmm, when are you flying in?"
" I land at six tomorrow evening. Why?"
" I was just checking, so I can be there to get your ass."
" Ok...if nothing else Jared can pick me up?"
"Nah I got this..."
" Ok little bro I gotta go I still haven't packed yet."
" Ok I will see you tomorrow...bye"
"Bye"

I can not wait to get back home. After being gone for over six years I am sure a lot has changed.

There is one person I would love to see once I get home. The girl that has been on my mind since the day I stepped into the plane. Catalina Lockhart...

I stepped off the plane and the Florida heat hit me right away. Something I thought I would never miss. I turned my phone back on and right away messages were coming in left and right. A couple from my buddy Jared.

I can't believe he is married and has a couple of kids now. That could have been me but I chose to go to the Marines. I only decided to go because I didn't want my life to be wasted, I wanted to do something for my country.

I text my little brother letting him know that I was getting my luggage now. He let me know he was here waiting.

Me and him were never really close growing up. He lived with our dad and I lived with our mom. Since I enrolled we have been able to talk more. No matter what he is my little brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I walked in and seen my momma my heart hurt so bad. Once a strong independent woman now fragile and weak.
I began to hate myself for being gone for so long and not coming home when I was on leave.

I was afraid of running into the girl I left my heart with. I knew the first day I laid my eyes on her I wanted her. I never could tell her because of her age at the time. There was another reason as well. A reason I am so ashamed of now. I didn't want to get shit from the guys for being a chubby chaser.

My little brother was taking his new girlfriend out to dinner tonight so I decided to take my mother out. It's been a really long time.

When we got back home I walked into the back yard where I spent my last night home. The burn pit is gone it had been replaced with a swing set.

That night replayed in my mind...

It was her 18th birthday...the day I waited two years for. I saw how she watched me almost as much as I would watch her. She always wore her beautiful light brown hair down....hiding her adorable chubby cheeks and her plump pink lips.

I waited all night I was determined that I was going to have her in my arms ....

I told her I wanted to take something with me....I took her virginity. I knew it was wrong, I hurt her in so many ways that night.

" Hey bro....momma told me you were out here." My little brother said scaring the shit out if me.

" Hey...how did your date go?" I asked him. From the way he talked about this girl last week when I called home he made her sound like an angel.

" Man...it went really good...she dropped a bomb on me though"

We walked back in and grabbed a beer and went and sat on the front porch.

" She's got a kid...he is 6 years old...I mean hell it doesn't change things but it's fucked up...she has been raising him alone." He took a big swig of his beer.
" The dad just left her..."

We talked some more and it was getting late. I had to report to the office in town then look for a job. There is a factory here I was thinking about looking in to.