0.3

It felt weird being able to sleep in this morning. Even though I was still up before the sun. I went for a run. This town is really dead at five in the morning.

I spotted a coffee shop open, so I stopped and try out the coffee there. I am sure it is a hell of a lot better than the coffee I was used to. I got my coffee and found a table to sit at.

I took my phone out and browsed through social media for a while.

" Steven Carmichael...is that really you?" I heard a female's voice say, getting closer to me. I looked over to where it was coming from. I didn't recognize her at first.
" Jerrod said something about you might be coming home. How long are you here for?" Then I realized who she was. A girl I used to mess around with in highschool. Fuck, what's her name...
" Oh, please tell me you haven't forgotten about me..." she whined.
Yep I forgot about her.

"No, of course, not how could I forget about you?" I say playing it off. She laughed....I do believe she caught on that I don't remember her name.

" It's Jennifer....it has been over six years since the last time I have seen you... So is there a special lady in your life?" She asked sitting down in the chair across from me.

I took a drink of my coffee before I answered her.
" Actually no there isn't... How about you is there someone special in your life?" Not that I really care at all.

" Oh no honey...no one here has caught my eye lately until well now. Look at you..." I think she is trying to flirt with me. I guess I wouldn't know how it is to be flirted with anymore.

" Oh is that so?" I asked her planting a fake smile on my face.

" Look I gotta go to work...here is my number why don't you give me a call sometime?" she slid a piece of paper over to me.

" I will..." I said before she walked away....

I looked at the time and needed to get back to my mom's to get ready to head to the office to check in. Then I need to go look for a job.

When got home my brother was awake getting ready for work.

" Hey I meant to give this to last night. I don't know if you would be interested but they are hiring at the lumber plant..." He handed me an app.

" I will fill it out and come by and drop it off today after I get done at the office." I told him.

" Alright cool man I gotta go... We have a meeting this morning." He said walking out the door. For a 24-year-old, he is responsible. I am proud of him. I have seen men his age still confused about their lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat in the office...the same office I sat in seven years ago to enlist in the Marines. It feels like so many years ago.

"Sgt Carmichael...it is a pleasure to meet you sir. I'm lieutenant Jason Roberts. If you will follow me to my office."
I followed behind the man. He walked with limp, you could tell he was injured in the line of duty but didn't want to retire.

" Sir do you plan on resigning your contract?" He asked.

" I would like to sign for part-time ...my mother is ill and would like to be home as much as possible. " He nodded his head and wrote something down.

" I will place you on a year's leave and have you come back when you feel you are ready, Sir." He slid a piece of paper to me to sign and I was on my way. That was a quick visit.

I headed to the lumber plant where my brother works. It was still early I'm sure the office was open by now.

I walked in thought the main door and was greeted by a younger woman.

" Good morning...how can I help you, Sir?" She asked. Her voice was low and sweet.

" I came to drop this off... Charles Lightborn referred me."

She smiled a big smile when I mentioned my brother's name. I wonder if this is the chick he is seeing.

" Oh okay....well the HR manager is actually in the meeting with Mr. Lightborn this morning. I will give it to her as soon as she is finished."

I thanked her and walked out of the building.

I went to a couple of other places and applied hopefully soon I will find something. With the money I saved for the past 6 years I should be able to put a nice down payment on a house and get my momma out of that little ass apartment she has been in for years. But I still need a job to live off of.

My phone rang....I was thinking it was too early to hear back from any of the places yet. I looked and it was Jerrod.

" Hey man....what the hell is going on?" I answered

" Hey we are having a cookout this weekend I want you to come and finally meet my wife and kids man," he said.

" Hell man of course I'll be there ....free food and beer fuck yeah."
He laughed....

" Hell you might even get lucky....there is gonna be a bunch of people....you know like chicks"

" Yeah maybe..."

" Well I gotta go but I'll send you the address to my new house I'll see you Saturday"

" I'll be there"

Hell if nothing else I might get laid....