Chapter Six

The presentation went fine. Jacob won, because, well, he had presented better than her, Jean thought. The board of directors had been very happy about his new marketing strategy of selling products with minimum interest, earning more profit. Even Alex had liked it. And that meant Jacob had gotten the job. To be really honest, she was happy for him, because he deserved it, he was really good at this job, though he was a jerk.

Jean folded her laptop and exited the conference room, feeling fairly defeated, and tired. She could hear Jacob's squeal of happiness, and that made her feel more defeated than she already was. Though, somewhere, in her heart, she knew he was better than her and that made her more frustrated. She wanted that job, and she remembered her boss's words : I know you're talented, Jean. Alexander Hamilton never praised anyone for free, and she felt like such a worthless person for letting him down.

As soon as she reached her working area, she eyed the cabin of the Marketing Head. Shit, she would've gotten a cabin of her own if she had won. It was her fate that restricted any good thing to fall into her lap. "Jean?"

She turned around to see Alexander standing behind her, his eyes a mask of concealed concern. "Oh, yes, what is it, sir?" She quickly composed herself, wiping the bit of tears that had stained her cheek.

"You did good, you were fierce, out there. Good job. Jacob was better, but you have the ability to out-do him! Don't stress yourself, Jean. There are many more promotions to come." He said, calmly, his hands folded neatly into his pockets.

She smiled, "That means a lot, sir."

"You take a break. And please," He came closer to her ear, "make my wife understand that she's pregnant and she needs rest."

"Okay, sir. You got it." She winked and then excused herself, making her way into Faith's cabin.

"Jeanie! Oh, thank goodness, you're here! Did you know Rich was here? He just told me that he got a girlfriend! I think, it's his secretary. That girl, that, what, was her, name?" Faith massaged her temples, trying to remember.

Jean was fast. "Grace!" She uttered, sitting opposite to Faith. "It's not Grace, by the way."

"Oh, really? Who is it, then? I thought he was obsessed with Grace." Faith said and then bit her tongue. "Sorry, Jeanie, I know you like him."

"It's me."

"Hmm," Faith hummed, and then she looked at Jean as if she had spoken in an alien language. "what the hell are you saying?"

"It's me. His girlfriend, that is, me." Jean said, coughing very badly. That wasn't believable, even to her.

Faith stared at her for a minute and then allowed the information to seep into her senses. "What. . . how, I mean..."

"He asked me."

"He did? I thought he-"

"He loves Grace." Jean said, jeeringly reminding Faith and herself. "He asked me to be his fake girlfriend. My job is to pretend."

Faith shuddered. "Oh, Jeanie, you said no, right? You possibly can't do that, you-" Realising exactly what she had done, Faith face-palmed.

"I did that, I said yes."

"Why?" Faith questioned, raising her voice. "Why would you do that, Jeanie?"

Jean didn't retort back. Faith's question was logical. Why had she done that? Why had she screwed her life over? "I didn't think, Faith. I saw his face, I saw his happiness, and I said yes."

"Ugh, Jean! What did you do? How will you do this?"

Jean perspired. "I don't know. I will just try, I guess. And then, if it works out, he'll be with Grace!"