Chapter Nineteen

Six days were over. After Richard had asked Jean to marry him someday, the next few days went away like a breeze, except for the two of them. He didn't know why he was nervous and awkward around her; it was the part of a plan, well, to be honest, the part she didn't have a clue about. He hadn't told her before or given her a warning about this possibility; he had just told her the part about being his girlfriend, not fiance.

On the starting of this plan, he had planned that Jean would be his fake fiance. As his secretary, Grace knew all his work engagements and meeting schedules, and it wouldn't have been believable to her if he had suddenly produced Jean as his girlfriend. He needed to show Grace that Jean was more important than just a girl he was dating; she was engaged to him.

Betrothed, to be specific.

Obviously, supercially, but still he knew it would impact Grace a lot more. In his secret heart of hearts, he somehow believed that she had feelings for him, subtle feelings that she also didn't know about.

Jean had looked at him with so much of bewildered horror that he had wanted to scream. He was wrong. Wrong in not informing her of his new plan. Gosh, she had looked so overwhelmed with the proposal, and a few days had past since, but she hadn't looked at him straight in the eye.

Right now they were just chilling in the beach house. Alex and Faith were sprawled all over the couch, barking orders at Ben and Vivian who were just ignoring them. Jean came up, "I can make mojitos? Will that work?"

Faith, who had been spewing out the wish of having a cold drink, giggled. "Oh, Jeanie, it will work like magic."

For Faith's choice, Alex had rented the beach house for today. Richard mused, seeing Jean go into the kitchen. Josh, Emma and Troy were roaming about the house, finally sitting themselves on the patio. Neil and Grace, however, were nowhere to be seen and Richard began to feel worried for Grace.

Just when he was thinking about it, he noticed Grace entering the house with an agitated expression. Her blonde hair was tousled, and chaotic. Her eyes were looking smaller than usual, and the lack of expression in them made him uncomfortable. He noticed Neil following behind her, his face quiet and silent.

Something wasn't right.

Half an hour had past. Richard wasn't taking part in the conversation. His mind drifted off to Jean. She was probably in the kitchen preparing some kind of beverage. Mojito, yes. He noticed Grace's irked expression, and then looked aside to see Neil making conversation with Vivian and Ben.

And then, his steps fumbled as he saw Jean coming out of the kitchen with a tray. It was so heavy that he had wanted to go and help her but instead, she beckoned Vivian to help her. Shit, she was pissed. The tray contained eleven medium glasses having a transparent white drink with bubbles with mint leaves and ice dipping inside. It looked delicious and fresh.

"My Jeanie baby is amazing at making mocktails! Gosh, love you." Faith laughed, taking the first glass with enthusiasm.

Slowly, Jean circulated the tray to everyone in the room. Josh, Troy and Emma joined them, taking their own glasses. As fate would have it, she stopped right in front of Richard and he could do nothing but sigh. Her eyes were plain, as if the mirth in them had gotten lost. Her hair was tied tightly in a perfect bun. To be honest, he disliked it.

"Jean," He said, trying to get her attention that was anywhere but him.

"Take your drink, Rich." Her tone was so sudden that he almost flinched.

He took it. Deciding against saying anything further, he sunk back into a nearby chair and sipped the drink. Everyone told her how wonderful it tasted, only he couldn't. It wouldn't matter to her, anyway. She looked disinterested in taking any remark from him, or talking to him.