Chapter Twenty Nine

Important Author's Note:

Hi there. Tonight, I'm leaving for a family vacation, guys. And most naturally, I won't be able to update for one week. So sorry for the inconvenience, but I think you all will understand my situation and support me as you always do!

Love you, Ciao!

___________________________________________

Jean had no idea what must have caused Richard to fall so dreadfully silent. At one moment, he was excited after hearing her content write-up, and then at the next moment, he was painfully silent and dull. His face had fell, and his dark eyes had grown unexceptionally dark.

She sat there for a long time, peeking at him through the gap between him and the document he was holding in his hand. She sighed. Had she done something wrong?

He was supposed to be working, she understood that. But she was sensing some kind of indifference from his side that irked her. Sometimes, he acted like too good to be true, like a dream, a fantasy that she couldn't permanently implant in her life. And then other times, he would just stop talking to her or looking at her and act like it was just a drama that he was part of.

It was a drama only, wasn't it? Why was she expecting him to think it was real?

She loved him. She had realised it sooner than later. It would've been better if she hadn't realised it only, her pain would've been less. And now? God, now she was miserable. It had been painful for her to get into this act when she just liked him, and now, when she knew she loved him, the pain had just magnified a thousand folds.

"I'm gonna go take a walk," She got up, expecting him to say something, well, anything, at least.

When he didn't oblige, she strode out of the cabin, her head throbbing with a discomforting ache. She held her head as soon as she came out, stopping in her tracks. A hand held her shoulder in a soft touch. "Jean, are you okay?"

She looked up to see Grace standing beside her with a concerned smile. "Do you wanna sit?"

She nodded, and Grace dragged her gently to the nearby bench, making her sit there. "Have some water, please." She gave her a glass of cold water.

She drank it in one go, feeling the cold liquid wetting her dry throat. She sighed a breath of relief, and then looked at Grace. "Thank you. Thank you so much."

"It's okay, Jean. Just, take care, okay? The boss will fire me if I let you experience pain like this." Grace chuckled.

Jean noticed that her mood was very light today. She had her blonde curls tucked behind her ear, and there was constant smile set on her lips which made her more admirable. Obviously, Rich was mad for her. Anyone would have the same reaction. She was gorgeous.

Grace patted her back. "Come on, cheer up, Jean. You okay, now?"

She dipped her head, getting up from the bench. "I'm gonna go get some fresh air."

Grace held her arm. "Are you sure you're okay?"

She nodded, and untangling her arm, she strode outside, her head still hurting like hell. She had brought this over to herself, and naturally, she had no one to blame. Faith had warned her, she recollected, coming out of the building. She gave a tired sigh, her breath coming in slow, hurtful gasps that she wanted to suppress.

Instead of getting away from him, she had travelled closer to him. No matter how many times she had decided to get away from him, show him that she wanted Neil passionately as much he wanted Grace, but she had relentlessly failed. It was his right to talk to her or not talk to her as he pleased; he wasn't supposed to be her friend, or her boyfriend or fiance that he would always chat with her.