Chapter Thirty Seven

Richard knew his happiness was gone.

Something told him to stop her, but his instinct rooted him to one place when he watched her leave with Alex in his car. She was better gone, he said to himself, unable to think. The car threw dust when it started, and soon, it ran out of mission. He turned his gaze towards his living room, and sat on the couch, his mind rumbling with memories.

He had called her a....well, not directly but he had definitely implied her as a slut, comparing her with her mom. It was wrong, but he was too damn hurt! And the pain was floating everywhere in his body. After coming from the renovation site, he had went to meet her again to ask her out to lunch. She wasn't in her desk and there was a letter lying among the crumble of papers. It had been absolutely prying of him to take it, but a little amount of suspicion had tugged at his soul and he had just taken up that letter and ran to his cabin.

It was soon opened by him, and read bit by bit, so intricately as if every word Neil had written was absorbed into his emotional wall. He hadn't believed it entirely, until Alan walked in with Elizabeth. His body shivered incessantly and he had immediately went into fight or flight mode, and that was until Alan told her new things, gave him more information, and then Elizabeth came forward and testified.

It was when Jean's own mother had accepted everything, he had no choice but to believe Jean was guilty. He just couldn't understand why would she lie to him about wanting Neil, except for the thing that was written in the letter; money. Even Alan and Elizabeth testified to that. So, there were three people who screamed facts at him, facts that said Jean wasn't as innocent as she looked.

And not even one person was against that. How could he believe her, then? He had been hurt once, by her mom, and when he was getting to know that many people believed her to be just like her mom, how could he accept it? He didn't want another Elizabeth Parker in his life, one was enough.

His heart protested every time he tried to compare her with her mom, but his heart was a fool. It was a pathetic fool who believed anything at all.

He had seen Alex's angry eyes pierce him, and honestly, it was the first time he had seen his brother so agitated. He could understand the reason, though. Alex had loved him and Vivian like a father, taught them values and disciplines, shaped their mind, and seeing him break the values must have been a hard blow to Alex.

But Richard was helpless. He was absolutely helpless. He hadn't meant to be so harsh but the words had sort of come out of his mouth in a primal instinct. Seeing her in front of him, pleading her own case, telling him to believe her when she was full of lies, had made the worst of him, and he had reacted in a way he shouldn't have.

Alex was right in getting angry. Richard decided that he would apologize to him later. But, as of now, he just sat on the couch, throwing his head back as the stress conquered his head, and it started aching like menace. Everything was jumbled up like crazy. It was as if there was something else that was hidden from him, and he felt that very frequently, as if someone wasn't telling him something.

What if he had missed something?

He didn't wanna think anymore, though. He was better off alone for now. Calming himself down, he decided to get some sleep on the couch and closed his eyes.

----------

It was dawn when he opened his eyes. He had slept like a log, completely unaware of the time. It was six in the morning and he got up from the couch, groggily rubbing the sleep off of his eyes, his back paining hellishly due to his incorrect sleeping posture. He had slept almost an entire night, rolled up in a couch, and there were now pain in his body, his arms and limbs.