Chapter Twenty

The flight back to Texas was surprisely tiring, Richard thought, massaging his aching shoulders with a scrunched-up face. The others were walking too fast, it seemed, leaving only him and Alex behind. Why? He wanted avoid him, because his big brother left no stones unturned when he began asking questions.

And by the frown on his face, Richard could feel a question was coming his way. "So, when are you proposing Jean to be your girlfriend?"

Richard stopped breathing, for a second. "For the last time, she's not my girlfriend and I'm not planning to make her that, either. I just want her for the project and then she can return to Hamilton Inc."

Alex snorted. "Huh, as you say." And then with a strong stride, he went to catch up with the others.

With a sneer directed at him, Richard paced forward, trying to match his steps with the rest. Josh, Troy and Emma started off towards Josh's house. Alex and Faith for theirs.

Ben bid them goodbye and went to terminal seven for his flight back to New York. Well, he could've easily gone to his home from Coney Island but he had wanted to spend more time. "Bye guys, see you soon. And Alex, I'll send you the next meeting list of Isabella Group."

"Sure, bro. Bye." Alex chanted and leaped outside of the airport, embracing Faith like she was as delicate as cotton.

Richard caught up with Neil and Grace as she noticed Jean walking nimbly behind Alex and Faith. "Hey, guys. I hope you enjoyed this trip."

While Grace gave him a sarcastic smile, Neil grinned. "Enjoyed tons, man. We should do this more often, you know. You, Jean, me and Grace."

"Vacation?" Richard cleared his throat, his mind totally dismissing the idea.

"Not elaborate ones. Short one-day trips, movies, dinner." Neil chirped, elbowing Grace while she continued sulking.

Richard wondered what had happened between the two. He felt happy seeing them drift apart but something wasn't right, he could feel it. Grace laughed, "My boss has tons of other important things to do, Neil. Come on, let's go." She swindled forward, taking him with her.

Richard saw them leave, wondering that he was now all alone. He came out of the airport noticing Vivian taking out the Roll's Royce from underground parking. He stood there, clueless. Out of a corner of his eyes, he saw Faith getting into Alex's car. "Bye, Fay!" He shouted.

Faith turned around with a bustling smile, "Bye, Rich."

And then Jean swooped up and matched his gaze with hers. "Bye," She waved her hand at him and leaped inside.

He waved at her, smiling bashfully like an idiot. Alex's car blew dust and drove off but he found himself waving. "Who are you waving at?" Vivian shouted, stopping the car in front of him.

He jumped back into his conscious thoughts. "No, no one." He leaped inside the car and let Vivian drive. To be honest, he was too tired to even move his limbs.

After reaching the comfort of his home, he went straight to his bedroom upstairs, signalling Vivian. "Gonna take a nap, Viv. You rest, too."

Seeing his little brother nod at him, he went to his room and sprawled all over the bed, not bothering to change his clothes. The fatigue hitting him harshly on his head as it began to hurt with a resounding ache. He hadn't felt so tired, yet so restless, ever. He remembered Grace's sulky face, and his mind wondered to what possibly could've happened.

He slept for six hours. The flight had landed in evening and now it was midnight. Great. His eyes opened in a snap, and noticing the time, the growling in his belly increased. Had Vivian eaten anything? Shit, he almost tumbled downstairs, checking to see Vivian sleeping like a log. There was a packet of cornflakes on the kitchen counter. Probably his brother had eaten that for dinner.