Chapter Nine

Jean felt weird. It wasn't something very moving, yet it had the power to disemble her feelings. As she sat there on her desk, she could hear whispers all around; the other members of the department had been talking about her, probably telling each other how crazy her hair looked. She didn't feel bad, though. She knew how she came across to people; gaudy and flashy.

Typing into the laptop, she focused her undivided attention on the project. It was the Governor's house, therefore, the house needed to be photographed after the designing, put up in a nice new website. This was the first plan she had come up with. As per the details Richard had given her, the house was going to be showcased, it was going to be open for visitors after a month and if people voted that house amidst the other houses designed by other designing companies, the house would be bought by the Governor. It was kind of like a tour of homes. The house that won would be able to accommodate the Governor for the rest of his political term.

Wow, it would be like the coolest opportunity for her and for Enigmatic Homes.

For a reason unknown, her heart swelled with pride, thinking about what Richard had achieved in such a young age. He was two years younger than Alex who was twenty-eight. She had to admit that the Hamilton brothers were talented and determined. As her mind drifted back and forth to Richard and the project, she jotted up some more important points and sighed. Unlike the working atmosphere of Hamilton Inc., this office was much more. . . calmer. And boring, of course.

Hamilton Inc. was cheery and jolly. The staff ate together, talked and worked. Alex gave them parties most often, and everything was just good there. This office, however, was quieter and tranquil but she wasn't used to such a freakishly calm environment. When people talked around her, buzzing the surrounding with noises, she got her boost to work more. But now, as everything was blatantly silent, she wondered if people here were friendly at all.

Damn, she missed Faith and her pregnant glow.

To be honest, she missed Alex too, as her boss, her mentor. He had grown to be a role model to her, a kind of brother she'd never had. Especially after he married Faith.

Her thoughts swirled in a whirlwind of emotions as she felt a shadow falling over her. She looked up to see Richard hovering over her, trying to peek at her laptop screen. "What are you doing here?"

He was taken aback by her sudden, straight-forward question. "Uh, it's time for lunch. See around you, it's lunch break." He said and she did exactly that, she looked around, noticing people sitting on their desk and eating, and only a few people talked to each other, that too, in quiet words.

The whole scenario made her squirm, "Oh, I didn't notice that. It's too difficult to notice such a freaking dim lunch break, you know." she got up from her seat and stood face-to-face with him.

He raised his brow, his gaze fixed on her face. "What do you mean by that?"

The sharpness of his tone made her wince. "Well, your office, Richie Rich, is surely boring."

She watched as his face turned red. As the colour enhanced in his cheeks, she wondered if he was angry or embarrassed. She had called him Richie Rich? God, what was she thinking? "What, what did...you just call me?" His voice grew eerily calm.

"Uh, Rich."

"You just called me Richie Rich, didn't you?" He asked her with that same no-nonsense tone that Alex had. They were brothers, after all.

She wanted to die, or melt into a puddle on the floor. "I'm sorry."

After a moment of silence, Richard burst out, laughing. "Sorry? Are you kidding me? That was so good! Infact, you should call me Richie Rich." he gritted his teeth, trying to control his uncontrollable amusement.