Chapter Thirty Six

Jean spent the entire day, crying. And also thinking. She had a doubt that Grace was involved with Alan, but having no proof wasn't helping. She desperately needed evidence. They were planning something big, and it concerned Richard and that made her more stubborn about finding the truth.

The changes in the website took longer than she had expected. The entire afternoon was gone. It was evening when she accepted the painful churn in her stomach. She had missed lunch, so grabbing a pack of chips from the recreation room, she came back to her desk in an understated hurry.

She bent her head towards the laptop, seeing Richard coming out of his cabin. He stopped almost too suddenly in front of her desk, rummaging through the table, and at last, getting his hands on a metal object. She looked at it, understanding that it was his cufflink that had found its way on her desk. And that's when she knew that he was here after she had gone to help Grace. He had gotten the letter when he had come to meet her.

Shit. Everything was falling apart. It was as if her heart was taken out of her chest, the vitality was sucked off, and it was put back inside, lifeless and helpless.

"It fell here," he explained, nodding down at her.

"It's okay." She sucked in a deep breath, not meeting his gaze. "Can I go home? I'm not feeling well."

She didn't fail to notice a flare of concern sparkling in his eyes. And then it died down. "Do whatever you want."

She nodded, words not forming in her mouth. She watched him leave, feeling herself heavier by the second. There were so many emotions, so many thoughts that had surrounded her. She was breaking down. God, only one person could calm her down now.

Faith.

She dialed up her number, waiting in agony and disdain. She heard the phone click in response. "Hello? Hi, Faith...." She cried, tears staining her cheeks.

"Hey, it's Alex." The other end buzzed and she swore she could hear him getting extremely agitated. "What happened? Why...are...you...crying...?"

"Uh, nothing, is Faith there?" She covered up, sniffing away her tears. "If she's busy, can you please ask her to call me later?"

"Jean," he stressed, gritting his teeth. "why are you crying?"

She broke down, completely abandoning herself. "Huh, I...don't...know...so many things....happened."

"Come to Hamilton Inc. right now." He ordered, his voice laced with rigid determination.

She tried to dodge the matter entirely but he didn't wait for her response and disconnected the call. Tired and wearied, she got up, making her way outside the building. Alex had called her there, and maybe she could find Faith there and tell her everything. Taking a cab to her destination, she patiently awaited her doom and rubbed off the remaining tears from her eyes.

----------

Hamilton Inc. stood tall, just as she had remembered it. It had been less than a month she had stopped coming here, but the aura of the building was mystically powerful. It was true, Josh Hamilton reigned it with extreme power and now Alex. She couldn't deny though, Alex was powerful but impossibly gentle and kind as well. He was an ideal boss.

Making her way towards the fourth floor and his cabin, fear grappled her. What would she tell him? How would she answer his questions? She tiptoed towards his cabin, timidly knocking on the door. "Come in," she heard his faint voice, urging her inside.

Upon entering, she saw Alex sitting on the chair and beside him, on the couch, there was Faith, working on her laptop with sincerity. "Faith?" she whispered, causing the pregnant woman to look at her.