Chapter Twenty One

Jean smiled, sitting on her desk and nimbly typing on her computer. When she had went to ask Richard about how liked her website draft, she had seen him lost in thoughts. And then, he had jerked up and told her that he had never been better. Did that mean he was better now? Better than he used to be? Did that mean he felt better with her?

So many questions ran through her mind that she wanted to squeeze her brain shut. When he had proposed to her, and had become angry on her for not talking to him, she had felt so unbelievably happy. It meant that she affected him, and just that knowledge was enough to overpower her.

She had been long over Neil. He had stopped affecting her the day she had found him sleeping with another woman on her bed. But Richard? No amount of convincing could convince her to get over him. He was....good. Simply, good. There was an understated goodness about him, that he radiated out from him. Everyone around him knew, and got soaked in that goodness.

She had always been treated like shit. All her life, she had craved for love, for belongingness. She had gotten just the right amount of love from Faith, and also Alex, who had been treating her so well. But her heart ached. It ached for Richard. When he had asked her to marry him as an act, some part of her heart had conceived it to be real and she had been happy. As soon as she realised it was all fake, she had been devastated.

She still was.

It was when she got a tap on his shoulder that she came back from her deep thinking process. "Huh?"

He was standing in front of her, his tall frame shrouding over her desk. "Let's go."

Before she could understand, she felt his hand clutch her arm and drag her towards him. "Surprise."

She let herself go with him. Gradually, she found herself sitting inside his car and though she didn't have any idea where she was going, she didn't question him. He looked at her and grinned, "You're gonna be so happy when you see this!"

Really?

With a wild anticipation beating inside her chest, she began noticing a neighbourhood clustered with houses; and each house had a company name tag plastered on the front gate. Soon, she saw the banner of Enigmatic Homes and she couldn't have felt happier. He had brought her to see the house first. Even before starting to design it. Gosh.

She jumped out of the car just milliseconds after he had stopped it and lunched forward to see what her vision promised her. There stood a huge iron-railed gate that made her shiver hard. The security guard opened it and she entered inside, hearing his faint footsteps behind her. She didn't care, the house was in front of her. The house she was destined to market and popularize.

The house was a two-storey building in light green colour. The colour was so fresh and out of the box that she even decided what to write in the real website. "Oh, oh, my god. It's beautiful." She turned around and saw him smiling and that's it, she went for it.

Running on her heels towards him, she flunged herself into his arms, deciding to let go and give her weight entirely to him. She buried her face into the crook of his neck, breathing quietly. She felt his arms snaking around her waist and gripping it more intensely than she had imagined. "I'm...so...happy." Her voice came out muffled as she breathed against the thin fabric of his shirt.

He took a deep breath. "I know. That's why I took you here, first."

She pulled out of the hug and looked into his eyes. "Really? You took me here first? Promise?"

The innocence in her blue eyes made him wanna grab her and kiss her senseless. "Ah, yes, promise."

She kissed him on the cheek, completely overwhelmed by the gesture. And then, as realisation seeped into her mind, her face turned pale. "Sorry." She blurted out, awkwardly.