Chapter Forty One

Richard swore he could feel his heart stop the moment Jean turned her back on him. He couldn't tell her, he couldn't tell her any of the things that were going on in his mind. The things were still conjectures, and not real facts. He barely wanted to be here in the office. But the Tour of Homes was approaching, and the sooner it was coming, the anxious he was getting.

"Richard, are you okay? I just heard Jean shout at you and storm outside!" Grace entered the cabin, concerned.

No, no. Not now. He smiled with a reserved face. "Ah, no. We're done! Over!"

He saw Grace's face getting lighter. Was she happy that it was over between him and Jean? "Oh, oh, I'm so sorry."

Oh, no, she wasn't sorry, he could tell. Yet, he smiled again. "Yeah, it's better this way. It was fake, anyways."

"Fake?" Her mouth was gaping open in shock.

He nodded, deciding to tell her the truth. It was high time for that. "We made a deal to pretend as lovers so that she could make Neil jealous and get him back. And I--"

"And you?" She looked at him, expectantly.

"I---" He stuttered. "Well, I---I wanted you to notice me, hence, I started everything so that---so that you become mine."

The look of her face was indescribable. She was not that shocked, as if somewhere, in her heart, she had expected this to happen. "Oh, Richard, is it true?"

He didn't say anything, just nodded instantaneously. She walked toward him, suddenly wrapping her arms around his neck, hugging him. Though he felt thoroughly uncomfortable, this is what he had to do. He hugged her back, patting her shoulders. "Yes, it's true."

She looked at him, "You still want me?"

He nodded, again. Something died inside him, and he didn't stop it from meeting its ultimate doom. "Yes."

She smiled. "So, what now?"

He had no answer to that question. So he sighed. "Do you wanna be with me, too?"

Fortunately, she dipped her head wildly. "I've always wanted you, you know, and I couldn't tell you. And then Neil asked me out in the party, and I said yes, thinking that you wouldn't care for someone like me."

He acted to be surprised. And then forwarding his palm, he smiled. "So, can I ask you out now?"

"Sure, you can." She beamed, placing her hand on his. "Where are we going?"

"Ah, I don't know. Let's go and see." He beckoned her to follow him, and she did.

He passed by the recreation room, and saw Jean coming out from it. Her blue eyes stopped in his face, and then slowly it travelled down, and halted where he and Grace had their hands intertwined. There was sudden change of expression in her face, he noticed. Her blue eyes were becoming dark, and there was a spark of fierceness that shone in it.

"Hi, Jean, how are you?" Grace asked her, her voice sugary sweet.

Jean tried her best to smile. "I'm--I'm absolutely fine. What about you?"

"I'm fine, now." She stressed in the word 'now' to show: now that he was there with her, she was fine.

Jean looked at him, once, and he felt that pain in his chest intensify. "Let's go, sweetheart." He said to Grace and dragged her away to the elevator.

The elevator dinged, and he railed. "Oh shit! I forgot my phone! Grace, you wait downstairs, I'm meeting you in five minutes." He saw her getting into the elevator and nod her head. As soon as the door closed, he ran towards the recreation room to find it empty.