Chapter Forty Two

Jean was restless. How dare he? How dare he kiss her like that and vanish into thin air? God. He was so infuriating, sometimes she wanted to strangle him to death. But then his face surfaced in her mind and she couldn't help but swoon all over again. Why did she have to love him so much?

Important factors were needed to be dealt with. Tomorrow was Faith's birthday, and she needed to help Alex with the arrangements. Richard was nowhere to be seen, and she had to meet Alex urgently regarding the party planning, so without seeking permission, she completed her work on the advertising and started for Hamilton Inc.

Reaching the office building, she soon remembered that she would have to leave Enigmatic Homes and come here again. As much as it made her happy to be back here, her heart wrenched in pain thinking of how she would have to leave Richard and his life behind, after precisely, three days.

She knocked on the door of the cabin and was immediately greeted with a faint 'come in'. She came inside, and smiled at Alex. "Hello, boss."

"Looks like someone's in a good mood," Alex grinned, shutting up his laptop and beckoning her to sit on the chair in front of him.

"Yes, it's Faith's birthday, and I'm excited." Jean was partially saying the truth. Yes, she was excited to surprise Faith, but also happy because of the kiss.

She knew she shouldn't be happy because of that, she knew it was utterly wrong, and he was with Grace, but he had told her again that he wanted her. What was going in his mind? What did he want?

"So, Richard said that he knows a great decorator who will help in the decoration, Vivian is managing the beverage and alcohol department, and now, what about food?"

"Leave the food to me, I've already talked to the owner of Ruby's diner, they are ready to cater the event. What about guest lists and invitation?"

"Done, I've completed everything." He said, nodding his head. "Ask the owner to contact me, I'll give him the money for the food arrangements."

"I'll do that." She nodded, "Anything else?"

"No, I don't think so."

She cleared her throat, "Okay, so can I leave?"

He nodded, and just when she was about to get up, he signalled her to sit down again. "Hey, Jean, is--everything alright?"

Her restlessness increased as she huffed. "I don't know, Alex, but I think there's something Richard is hiding from me."

His face grew grim. "What?"

"I don't have any idea, he's---I don't know, he's acting too weird."

"Okay....I'll have a talk with him. You don't worry, okay?" He smiled at her and unknowingly, she knew that after his confirmation, everything would be alright.

Jean got up, said bye to him and then trod downstairs, messaging the caterers about the payment. She texted the number to Alex with the total billed amount. Faith was gonna be so happy. Ruby's Diner had grown to become her favourite place, and Jean had intentionally selected the menu according to Faith's ultimate food choices.

By the time she reached Enigmatic Homes, she wondered whether she should go to Richard's cabin and shout at him, asking him what the hell did he want. Deciding against it, she sat on her desk and scribbled some important points for the advertising department to follow.

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Grace coming towards her, a file in her hand. It was evening, and yet her golden hair shone gaudily. "Hello, Jean, can you please look into this matter?" She passed the file on her desk.