Chapter Fifteen

The waves crashed, and the birds noisily flew towards the southern sky. Jean's feet were brushing against the sand, and she would've crumpled down if Richard hadn't held her so tightly. "Rich, I think it's enough."

For some reason unknown, she noticed him getting disappointed for a second and then, her body was left vacant of his body's warmth. He stepped away from her. "Yeah, I guess so. Will you swim?"

She nodded her head at him, quietly watching him walk towards the beach house. She turned her heels toward the shore, dragging her feet through the thick, golden sands. It was as if she was walking on gold dust, the small particles enveloping her toes. Brighton Beach appeared like a dream to her, a living, breathing dream she couldn't have ever imagined. It was only possible because of the deal with Richard.

She was grateful to him for so many things. She'd never had holidays or vacations. The only time she'd went somewhere was the trip she had taken with her mother once when she was nine. Well, it was her mother's concert in Nashville, Tennessee. That's why she had gotten the opportunity to see a place outside of Texas. The memories were faint, but they were ardent. She still remembered how she had escaped her mother's concert, ditched her cruel nanny and roamed about the streets of Nashville till midnight.

Then her mother had ended the concert, found her and then slapped her hard across the face, blaming her for all her miseries. Elizabeth had then gave her to the nanny's control and went into a car to a hotel with some rich lover of hers.

Jean had seen the way her mother had left her alone in the street, kissing a man and surrendering herself to his wealth, and she had felt the nanny drag her across the road to a cheap hotel in the sewer side. She had spent the night in a cheap, filthy room that had no windows. The room was breaking down with ill-management, there was no proper bathroom or drainage system. As she had spent hours in the pungent smell of smoke, dirt and ash, she had gotten a taste of life. A life of absolute patheticity.

She blinked her eyes, clearing her hazy vision and the water that was about to fall receded back through her eyelids. There were so many people in the beach, happy and cheerful. She couldn't possibly cry in public. She swindled her way to the shore, dipping her feet in the cold ocean waters, letting the golden sands whistle beneath. She journeyed further into the water, going forward until the water was up her knees, and she could feel her body getting as light as air.

She felt a sudden splash of water on her. Turning to see Vivian making faces at her, she giggled. "Bad move, Vivian."

"Oh, yeah? Let's see if you have some moves." Vivian twitched his own silky blonde hair and began splashing salt water on her.

Jean could feel water soaking in her hair as she ran toward him, dipping his face in the water in one swift move. "How did you like my moves?"

He giggled, launching himself at her, "Very much." and both of them fell on the sandbed, their bodies covered in sand.

"Enjoying without me?" Ben rattled, intentionally acting to fall down on the shore and then giggling. "Oh, the water's too cold."

Jean got up. "We can play some game. What's say?" Excitement sparked in her, the longing of a child clearly visible.

Vivian raised his eyebrow, "This beach has a volleyball set up. Let's play!" The boy got up hastily, kicking Ben on his knees. "Come on, Ben."

Benedict, who had been quite enjoying the cold water under his back, growled. "Good god, you two."

Jean found herself pushing toward the volleyball set up with Vivian while she noticed Ben changing his direction to call the others to join. She was feeling great. She'd never had a good outing in her entire life, and she wouldn't let anyone or anything dissemble it. Years ago, she had let her mother destroy her life, she wouldn't give anyone else that power to disintegrate her life, again.