Chapter Eleven

Maybe it was nothing but the female hormones that had guided her. She was on her desk, concentrating all her attention to her laptop. She didn't know why she had went to Richard's cabin, sat on his lap and kissed him. She told herself that it was because she had wanted to help him make Grace jealous, but somewhere, deep in her heart, she knew it was because she had wanted to be close to him again.

She had wanted to feel his skin touch against hers. Her phone rang with electronic dance music, and she jumped up. It was Faith, thank God. "Yes, babe, what's up?" She said, shutting her laptop with a thud.

"Hi, Jeanie. I'm good. What about you? How are you holding up?" Faith's voice buzzed with concern.

"I'm doing good, I suppose. What's up there?"

"Nothing much other than Alex haranguing me about taking a break!" Jean could hear Faith's frustration about the whole thing.

Jean tried to calm her down, "Okay, babe.  Chill out. See, he loves you a lot!"

"Well, I know that, too! Guess what? I told him that if he insists me on taking a break, he needs to take a break too! And,"

"And?" Jean said, thrilled to hear the upcoming news.

"And he has agreed to take me on a short trip to Coney Island!" Faith's voice boomed like an innocent child's.

"Wonderful! I'm so happy for you." Jean said. In truth, she was happy as well as panicked. Faith was the only person who understood her and was always by her side. She couldn't imagine her leaving for a few days.

"There's another thing!" Faith interrupted Jean's wild train of thoughts. "Alex is thinking of inviting his brothers and some friends! It'll be so much fun!"

"Woah, great." Jean sighed of relief. Richard would go? That would be so amazing. Being close to him for just one day was already getting hard on her.

"And their better-halves or partners, of course."

Something told Jean to cut the call and run away. It was the gut-wrenching feeling that began to gnaw at her. "What?"

"Yes, Ben and Vivian are coming alone. And Richard's coming with you. And Alex is probably inviting some other friends." Faith said so casually that Jean wanted to throw up.

"Faith, Alex can't know that Richard and I, are together. We can't involve family. It's an act. It's too dangerous."

Faith sighed. "Alex guessed something was fishy the moment Richard borrowed you for his project. He had been asking me so many times, but I didn't say anything. That's why he will directly talk to Richie about it."

Jean could feel her hands getting insanely cold. "Okay." Her voice was dull and bleak. She couldn't imagine what would happen if Alex knew. It was all fake, for heaven's sake.

After a bit of chit-chat, Faith disconnected the call with a promise of how everything would be alright. Well, Jean highly doubted it. Everything was getting messier. If Richard's family and friends got dragged into this game of pretence, she had no idea what would come out of it. She slumped her shoulders and stretched them, trying to release thick ounces of tension that had been accumulated in the joints.

"Jean, please look into these files. Mr. Hamilton wants you to come up with some other strategies." Grace toppled towards her, keeping her face in a straight line.

"Sure, Grace." Jean nodded her head and watched Grace go back to her cabin, swaying her full hips in the air.

---------

Richard felt his insides throb with desire and he could do nothing but be ashamed about it. His mind was filled with images of....Jean. Fuck. Her glorious thatch of red hair was kind of turning him on and he adjusted his trousers to let go of the feelings he had been feeling. Saving him from further guilt, his phone rang obnoxiously and it was Alex.