Chapter Forty Six

"So, he cheated on you, then!" Alan snarled, taking a sip of his cappuccino.

Jean wanted to thrash him. But here she was, sitting in a cosy corner of Ruby's Diner with this pathetic excuse for a man. She had met him here exactly at ten, and since then, he had been mocking her regarding Richard. She needed to be calm, though.

"Yup, what can I say. It's Grace. She's gorgeous."

There was a sudden change of expression on his face. "Yes she's gorgeous, but not more than you."

She was disgusted. He was Grace's boyfriend. And yet, it shocked her very much to see how bravely he could lust after another woman. And Grace? What kind of a lover was she? She knew his intentions and still supported him?

She smiled, trying to embrace the compliment. "Ha, thank you so much."

"So, do you believe me now?"

"Believe what?"

"That I love you? And that I want you?" He sneered, winking at him.

"Yes, I do." She said, confidently, without a pause. "That's why I came to meet you, today. I wanna....I wanna give this....a chance."

His face srunched up in a strange form of happiness. "Okay, okay, I won't let you down. I'll worship your body, your-"

"Alan," she had to interrupt him for she could no longer listen to his shitty words. "I've to go, now. Or else, I'd have to give explanation to Alex if I go home late. I secretly came to meet you. I don't want them to know....."

He nodded his head in silent approval and then grabbed hold of her hand. "Okay, I got it. I'll text you. We'll meet again."

Dipping her head at him, she gently walked past him and finally out of the diner. She noticed Vivian's car parked on the other side of the road. Opening the window, he gave her a thumbs-up sign and she nodded. The moment she caught a cab for home, she saw his car starting. All of them were so protective of her. She felt nothing but blessed.

She reached home. Thankfully, it was Sunday and the instance she reached home, she saw Alex and Faith in the kitchen, cooking. Basically, Faith was cooking, and Alex was hugging her from behind, keeping his face at the nape of her neck. She approached them, "What's cooking, love birds?"

Faith jerked up, but Alex seemed to have no effect. He kept doing what he had been doing, without getting embarrassed. "Nothing much. We're cooking strawberry tarts, Jean." He made a cute pout and kissed on his wife's cheek who got overwhelmed with joy.

Jean giggled, seeing the two of them. "You guys are so sweet!"

"Well, thanks. But when am I getting my competent employee back?"

Jean didn't quite understand, at first but then she nodded her head, gravely, understanding that with the tour of homes ending yesterday, one month was complete. And as per the verbal agreement, it was her time to go back to Hamilton Inc. She loved her company very much, but her relationship with Richard was new, and she couldn't help but feel scared to leave his office. What if he stopped loving her? What if-

She put a break in her thoughts and smiled at him. "Will join from tomorrow, boss."

Faith, who had been a silent spectator gave her a small smile. "Jeanie, you seem stressed. How was the meet up with Alan?"

"I could barely tolerate him, but I did it."

Alex chimed. "Mmm, he didn't do anything wrong, did he?" There was a protective tone in his voice.

"No, it was okay. Vivian was there. Alan didn't do anything." She sighed. "I don't trust Grace, though. What if she traps Richard?"

"He's not that easy to trap." Alex came towards her and put his hands on her shoulders. "I promise you that. Yes, it's true that he was crazy about Grace, at one point. But now he knows how she is, and now he loves you, and once he promised to be with you, he won't ever leave your side! I can guarantee that, he's my brother."