Chapter Forty Nine

The recording started to play. It was fuzzy and unclear but everything could be wildly understood.

"I know that you know, Jean. And no, I shouldn't be afraid of you, my dear. Because previously I've looted rich and foolish men, no one was able to catch me. At first, I enter their lives and act disinterested with them, and then slowly, as they grow insane about me, I use that obsession for money!"

Richard felt his blood boil. Nevertheless, he continued listening. "You most definitely can't do anything to stop me! I'll not leave you alive for that. I will establish my goal of squandering Richard Hamilton's money, and I'll not stop until I'm done. This isn't just professional, it's somewhat personal...."

"Personal?" Jean spoke, disoriented.

"Yes. When I chalked out some businessmen and industrialists for my agenda, Alan picked out Richard first and told me about his personal enmity with him. Richard overshadowed him in the band in college, he never let Alan show his talents as a singer. Come on, Alan's my boyfriend, the least I can do is avenge him."

"Alan already avenged himself when he mixed Procaine in Richard's drink and paralyzed his throat!" Jean shouted.

"Oh, my dear, that wasn't enough. Everything Alan wanted, Richard got; recognition as a good singer, a good student. Everyone liked him, everyone praised him. Alan wanted to take something that Richard wanted. Hence, this time, in my plan, he helped me. The plan was to get Richard all tangled up in feelings and then we'd betray him together, this time."

"But then, you! You came along, suddenly, out of nowhere! Richard was on the verge of insanity, he was getting obsessed for me, my manners, my elegance, my quiet nature, but you, you had to interrupt us! Suddenly you came into his life as his girlfriend. For a few days I thought it was fake! But then I realised it wasn't! My gold-digging plan was over! But our revenge plan wasn't!"

"What do you mean?" Jean's voice shook.

"When Alan saw that you were calling yourself Richard's girlfriend, he was so happy! He recognised you from his past. Seeing Richard's craze for you, he decided that he's gonna use you to avenge himself. I helped him do all sorts of things to make you lose reputation in front of Richard's eyes. You know why? Because he wanted to snatch you away from Richard, he wanted you to go away from him and come to you! He doesn't give a shit about you! It's just his revenge!"

"You won't be successful!" Jean railed.

"Oh, is it? Do you know why I'm telling you all this? Oh, let me tell you. Because you're gonna die! And, uh-huh, before you die and leave this world for good, you deserve to get all your questions answered!"

The phone beeped, indicating that the message was complete and it had stopped. The whole surrounding was silent for sometime.

"That bitch!" Faith slurred, taking deep breaths.

Alex called up Riley in the next instant, his voice palpitated. "Riley, hey! Are you done selecting the video evidences? It's time."

Jean shuddered, clutching Richard's hand. "Rich, I'm sorry."

Richard saw movements all around, yet he couldn't move. Every bone in his body was frozen shut with its coinciding muscle, and movement was no longer possible. He looked around to see worried and concerned faces of Alex, Ben and Vivian, the panic-stricken expression of Faith, but nothing moved him. Except.

Jean. She was sitting in front of him, her eyes bulging out, as she cried harder and harder. Her face was a pool of tears and she looked miserable. There was a sudden springle of electric current that jolted throughout his body, firing at a network of nerve-endings. Instead of feeling dizzy, he felt powerfully energetic.