Chapter Fifty

Jean knew it was wrong, but for now, it was the right thing to do. She couldn't tell anyone the portion which she hadn't recorded; the portion where Grace had shown her, her place. Grace had insulted her, told her many mean things but she couldn't deny the realness of them. She had told her that she was an illegitimate woman, her existence was tainted with an illegal physical affair and that Richard deserved a lot better.

It was true. That's why, she was leaving. After yesterday's ordeal, Richard had come to see her, but she had acted to be asleep in her room. It would've been impossible for her to see him and then leave the next day. After hearing that Richard had left, she had called up her broker and video-called her for seeing the apartment that fit her budget and then finally, finalising it. She had paid the advanced amount online, and now, as she could see the dawn breaking, she decided to leave, unannounced.

She had thought about it a lot. Yesterday, before going out to catch Alan and Grace, Richard had told her he loved her, and she had smiled, not being able to say it back. Saying it back would only pain her more, and it would pain him to realise that the woman who had told him she loved him, had left the next day.

He would hate her, good god. He would absolutely, completely loathe her. Everyone would. Alex, who had been nothing but kind to her, Ben and Viv, who had extended their help whenever she needed it, and Faith? She would be miserably sad, and angry.

Jean knew she wouldn't be able to stand in front of them, again. If she left now, she would've to be gone, forever. After ditching them like this, she couldn't possibly see them again. But she was helpless. She didn't wanna leave. She wanted to be with them, with Rich, with his family. Alas, she had to go.

She was a tainted woman. There was no identity of her father, her mother was a slut, and had no reputation, whatsoever, and Richard hated her mother. He hated her bloodline with passion. Apart from her mother, she was everything he didn't need in his life, Grace was right. Grace had told her that she could only bring him misfortune and chaos, and it was true, after she had come into his life, everything had gone absolutely haywire.

Richard didn't deserve to be with someone as low as her. He was a powerful businessman, a billionaire, he was successful, he was sweet and kind, and he deserved a decent, good woman with good looks, good fortune and a good heart, not a prostitute's daughter, like she was.

She remembered, months ago, she had told Faith that women like them weren't too good for rich, successful men. It wasn't like they were bad, it was just that billionaires dated models and high-end women, and they just couldn't win with them. But Faith had won. It wasn't a battle, but Faith had won Alex's heart, and she had made it. But just because she had made it, it wasn't necessary that Jean could do it, too.

She couldn't. She didn't belong in this world. She wanted to belong here, though. Everyone had been so kind to her, so compassionate and lovely, that her heart was breaking to leave. But she was tainted, her name was connected with Elizabeth Parker, and she refused to bring shame to Richard and to his family and friends.

Faith had been her best friend, ever since. She would have to lose her, too. All her life, she had lost. Lost her dignity, her freedom, her childhood, her innocence, and now she was going to lose her best friend, and also a man who loved her, truly. She got up from the bed, letting her eyes shed the remaining water that was left in them.

Her suitcase was on the bed, half-filled with her clothes and belongings, and shoving the rest of them into it until the wardrobe, the dressing table, the shelves were empty of her things, and devoid of her presence. She zipped the suitcase and tumbled it down the bed, and began to get ready. She brushed her hair into a ponytail and wore a pair of blue jeans and a red high-neck top that matched her hair too perfectly.