Chapter Ten

Something woke Richard up from his sleep. He didn't know what. It was the sudden nervousness he had felt or the past images that had rattled his head, he couldn't tell. He swung up from the bed, leaping and jumping until all his fears dissipated. And then, massaging his temples with brutal force, he gulped down the entire jug of water, splashing the cold liquid all over his neck. That fear, that absolute helplessness came back to him in bouts of nausea.

It was five in the morning. Gritting out a curse, he got up from the bed and headed directly to the washroom. The chilling weather didn't stop him from taking a shower. As he let loose the hot water from the shower, he felt a bit relaxed and warm. The icyness from his body was slowly ebbing away.

He decided to exercise out his anxiety and hit the gym. It was probably the only thing that could save him now. The basement of house was his personal gym where he worked out almost everyday. Running on the treadmill, he played his favourite music on the speakers. The speakers boomed with soft rock as he ran and ran, looking at his own expression on the mirror in front of him. His face was scrunched up in pain, his eyes, a depthess black of sadness.

As his limbs gave away to fatigue, he hopped down from the machine and headed upstairs to get ready for office. Staying in home would depress him more. Vivian was fast asleep in his room. Richard tucked the blanket on his little brother's body, patted his head and exited the room to make himself a glass of juice. And then he aimed for his room to change into his work clothes; he decided to wear a blue shirt with grey trousers and blazer. He tied a black tie around his neck meticulously.

"Viv, I'm going to office." He shouted, emerging his head through the door, seeing his sleepy brother just waving at him. "Oh, and yeah, Madeline's coming early today. I'll not be able to make breakfast. Tell her to fix you something to eat."

Vivian groggily smirked. "Yeah, okay. Bye, Rich."

Richard nodded. "Bye, sleepyhead."

---------

Richard had reached office early. He had wanted to reach early, that's why. His heart didn't support the idea of staying home a little more, or sleeping. The images still crackled in his head, slinging all kinds of nerves in different places making it heavy and throbbing with pain. He hadn't eaten anything and moreover, he had worked out strenuously. His stomach grumbled as he switched on all the lights and then went to his cabin. He opened his laptop and frowned at the time. It was just eight in the morning. The shift started at ten.

He opened his mailbox to see Jean's mail popping up. She had sent him the rough draft of the marketing strategies. Woah, she was thoroughly detailed and efficient. As his mind drifted on how efficient she was, he remembered the kiss. Without any prior warning, she had bent forward and kissed his mouth yesterday like it was meant to be. It had made him so utterly uncomfortable. He had frozen to one place, his body tensing up and stiffening at the sudden contact. And then he had felt extremely rigid and aroused. It was pathetic of him but he was a man, after all. After that, what shocked him was how she had reacted.

Jean had fell silent for the entire time and when Neil and Grace had left them alone, he had tried talking with her, asking her why she had kissed him so suddenly but she had avoided him throughout the day. Even in the office.

"Rich? You're here now?" Her voice stumped him. He looked at the door to see it creaking open, and her face peeping inside.

Jean walked inside, baffled. "You come so early?"

He tumbled up from his chair, "No, I don't. But what are you doing here at this time? Shift doesn't start-"

"Until ten, I know. It's just-" She licked her lips. "I couldn't sleep last night. I thought it would be better if I came here and started with my work. You?"