Chapter Eighteen

There was thrill all around. Richard could feel the happiness melting in his bones, giving rise to a sudden feeling of excited candour. The laughs of people faded in the background, and he swore he could experience joy at its highest, especially seeing Jean.

Her blue eyes twinkled endlessly as she gaped at the most ordinary of sights. She felt wondered and moved at the smallest of things and he couldn't help but feel delighted at that. She perceived her surroundings to be so wonderful, so mysterious, as if they were in the magical setting of Alice in Wonderland. Nothing could ever compensate her gaping mouth, mirthful laughter and those curious eyes.

Faith was restricted to be on any thrill ride, therefore, Richard noticed her sulking on a wooden bench, and Alex was sitting beside her, trying to console her. He walked toward them, "Hey, guys, where are the others?" It was true. The moment they had entered the park, everyone had scattered in their own direction.

"Well, dad, Troy and Emma are taking the rollar coaster ride, and-" Alex stopped, unable to remember the location of the rest of the people.

"Jean is in the Arabian Merry. See, those elephants flying?" Faith signalled towards a ride and Richard traced her gaze.

The Arabian Merry was like a traditional merry-go-round with elephants. As he looked closer in the bright sun, he saw Jean up on one of the elephants, laughing and giggling, making conversation with two other ladies. He was startled at first, and then with renewed vigour, he smiled, staring off in the distance.

"Oh, so, now you're ogling a girl who's supposedly not your girlfriend?" Alex threw the question at him like a sharp dagger.

Richard sneered. "I'm not ogling her and yeah, she's supposedly not my girlfriend."

Alex winked at Faith and laughed. "Oh, see what your Rich is saying!"

Faith tried to control a small giggle that escaped her mouth. Richard sighed, "Oh Fay, not you too!"

He stomped his foot and left his brother and his wife alone. He walked towards the Arabian Merry, discarding the entire idea of ogling Jean. He wasn't a pervert. The cessation of noise calmly declared that the ride had ended. With beaming faces, people hopped down the ride and he saw them leaving with joy. 

At the end of the jostling crowd, he saw her notice him. With blue eyes gaping in wonder, she beckoned him closer. He stopped before the elephant she was sitting inside, and she bent down from the carriage to reach his face, and then she smiled. "Wanna join me in the next turn?"

"You're gonna go a second time in this?" He referred to the childish merry-go-round. "Come on, Jean!"

"No, you come on, Richie Rich! Hop in!" She squealed and he swore he could feel the shrillness of her tone travel through the air.

He shook his head, "You're impossible." and then hopped inside the carriage and sat opposite to her.

As the circular platform with elephant fixtures started to take motion, he gripped her hand, "Jean,"

"Are you scared?" She patted her hand, concerned and worried.

"Not scared. I'm--I'm just not used to, you know, rides. I have motion sickness. If things move too fast, I--"

He couldn't complete his sentence because before that, the ride began to move too fast, circling ferociously. He felt sick to the stomach, feeling absolutely unhealthy. He looked around and his vision blurred, the ride rotated so quickly that the people all around him looked hazy and unclear.

"God, Rich, you look sick." Jean propped up his arms, cupping his cheeks. "Breathe, okay, breathe. It's fine."

Her words seemed irrelevant to him.