Chapter Thirty Two

Richard woke up with a heaving pain in his chest. He had barely slept the entire night, only tossing and turning around, slithering the satin bedsheets.

She was gone, she was fucking gone.

He felt miserable. He loved having her around, these past few days. She was like a sunshine, a bit of warmth that had spread through his lifeless house. He had been so freaking worried when he couldn't find her anywhere after coming home late at yesterday night. Her room was empty, her luggage was gone, even her cute little red pillow.

He dragged himself out of bed, pure fatigue smearing his eyes. He couldn't even keep them open. Today, he had asked Maddy to come early in the morning, because he knew he wouldn't be able to move himself when the sun would rise. And that's exactly how he was feeling, now. Deciding not to workout today as his body gave way to fatigue, he felt his chest wrenching in intense pain.

He descended downstairs, ruffling his hair, trying to calm himself down. He wanted Jean, and that realisation was making the earth slip beneath his feet. She was a daughter to Elizabeth Parker, the woman he hated. She carried her blood, her nature....

No, his heart protested like an instantaneous siren.

Jean wasn't like Elizabeth, he was pretty sure of that. Her looks matched her mom, but her nature was entirely opposite. She was bubbly, she was cheerful, helping, kind and so caring that he couldn't bring himself to hate her. For a silly reason, he wanted to hate her, not want her, at the very least.

He was here, in this mess of a drama, because of Grace. He had been crazy for his secretary, craving her reciprocation day and night, but only until the moment Jean wasn't in his life. Since the time the absurd, totally unique, redhead young woman had dropped herself into his life, he had been absolutely distracted, freaking diverted from his original goal; to woo Grace.

Grace wasn't even the main concern, now. All he could think about was Jean and her smile, her happy face, her eyes. She had left yesterday, without telling him, as if she had just slipped out silently, not making a noise. She didn't wanna stay in his house any longer, and why would she? He had ignored her, and most naturally, blamed her for being Elizabeth's daughter. She was right to leave, he assured himself. It was for the best.

The intensifying pain in his chest didn't stop, though. How had he become so dependent on her? His house was seeming so dark without her. It was always like this, green painted walls, light lamps, skylights, he loved his house, designed it from scratch. But her presence made it a home.

He thought with a resounding sigh.

Her waking up in the mornings, preparing breakfast, chatting with Vivian about his English class. Okay, he had gotten to know that she great interest in literature, and during the entire conversation with Vivian, she had given him half of the information that he was unable to find, even in the internet.

Richard smiled, thinking of it. The three days he hadn't talked to her were the worst three days ever! He couldn't help it, anyhow. Whenever he saw her, after he had gotten to know the truth, he could only see Elizabeth in her. Her hair, her face, her features....she was a resemblance of her mom.

Only her eyes. If one looked at them, one would be lost. Her eyes were the blue of each streak in the sky, and yesterday, when he had blamed her, he had seen a blue flame in her eyeballs, burning so bright that he had stepped away in submission.

"Rich, going to college!" Vivian ran in front of him, passing a look of concern. "What happened?"

Richard realised that he had been standing in the middle of the stairs for a long time now, and trod downstairs, giving his brother a pat on the back. "Nothing much. Go safely."