Chapter Twenty Four

Jean could hear his heartbeat thudding against her chest when he embraced her again. Aww, Richard was acting so unbelievably adorable that she wanted to squirm under his warm gaze. She couldn't believe someone cared about her so much. Never in her life had she experienced this kind of caring and tending.

She felt bad, hiding the truth from him. But it was the only option she had. She couldn't bear thinking about telling him exactly how she knew Alan. He didn't need that kind of crap in his life. Alan had been her mother's lover, it wasn't love in the way of toes-curling, rib-tickling, soul-shaking or anything, it was only a series of carnal sexual encounters that made her wanna vomit, as a seventeen year old girl.

She wasn't a prude, but she always believed in lovemaking, entwining bodies and souls together in a lovely sync. She never liked the animalistic and arrogant attitude towards sex, which obviously, her mother had.

"Jean!" She heard a female scream, and by God, she knew it was Faith. She pulled out of Richard's arms and looked towards the door, her eyes fixed on the devastated woman in front of her. "Oh, Jeanie! What happened?"

Faith rushed to her and hugged her more tightly than she should have. Jean gritted her teeth when her wounds felt painful again. "Ow, Faith, it's hurting."

"I don't care! You deserve this! There's a limit to carelessness!" The pregnant woman shouted, and Jean knew she couldn't argue with her; for God's sake, it was Faith.

Jean saw Richard giggling and glared at him. "What are you giggling for? You're every bit of responsible for this." There was another voice. Alex came to the room with his powerful aura and rested his glance at his brother.

It was now Jean's chance for giggling so she did exactly that. Richard turned around, "I'm innocent."

Alex held his gaze, his expression eerily calm. "You should've been more careful, Richie. What if something happened to her?"

"Don't you think that question haunts me too?" Richard spilled, his eyes bored with restless guilt.

The sudden outburst between two males, made the ladies silent. Alex dragged Richard out of the room and into the empty corridor. "I don't know what the hell are you planning, neither do I wanna know. Dad called me and said that you have proposed Jean in Coney Island, Neil told him. And now this," his green eyes sparkled, giving off cold annoyance.

Richard squirmed, nervousness grilling him. "Oh, it's nothing like that."

"Don't lie to me, Richie! Lie to yourself, if you must!" Alex tried to keep his voice down. "Look, I don't care what's happening. Just don't end up hurting her, please. She's gone through a lot."

"Like what?" Richard asked, his face thriving with seriousness.

"Mommy issues and all," Alex shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know much, but Faith tells me that she's been through a lot."

Richard absorbed the new piece of information, and then sighed. "I don't know how it happened. She went to lunch with Alan."

Alex stilled to a stop. "Why does that name sound so familiar?"

"It's Alan Mathews."

"The one who," Alex growled. "who drugged you with procaine to ruin your performance? The one who slept with the judge?"

"Yes, the very one."

"How," Alex wanted to scream, but considering it was a hospital, he reduced his tonality. "how the hell does she know him?

"I don't have a fucking clue. She told me he was her High School senior, and he just came to meet her but I don't think that's entirely true."

"You think, Jean is lying?"