Chapter Forty

Jean opened her eyes, blinking twice or thrice more to let the light of the day enter her vision. She uncovered her duvet and came out of the bed. She was in Alex's house, yes, and in the guest bedroom. Richard had dropped her off most probably, she wasn't sure, as the back of her head was aching, and she touched it to see a bandage wrapped around her forehead.

She winced in pain as it shot down her spine when she tried to move. She had probably developed soreness in the muscles due to being tapped on a chair for hours. She remembered everything in a blur. She had went to the building, searching for Alan, and then there had been a hit, and she had seen darkness. What happened after that was completely erased from her brain, or maybe it hadn't even been impressioned on her memory, in the first place.

Maybe, she had been completely blacked out for four hours. The time she had regained consciousness was when she had seen Richard in front of her, holding her steadily in place. After that, she had most probably blacked out again, and now she was here. She quickly changed her clothes and wore something decent to go downstairs and show her face to Alex and Faith. God, they must be worried sick. Discarding the idea of taking a shower as her bandage seemed freshly tied, and she didn't to wet it, she trod downstairs.

She saw Marie cooking a solid breakfast of bacon and eggs. Since the day Alex had found out Faith was pregnant, he had dismissed her from making breakfast and requested Marie to join from breakfast hours. He was such a good, caring husband.

"Good morning, Jean, my dear." Marie prompted, sauteeing peas and onions on the pan.

Jean came down, her head still throbbing with pain. "Where's Alex and Faith?"

Marie looked at her, concerned. "They slept at dawn when Master Richie went home."

Somehow the name 'Master Richie' made her wanna roll on the floor, laughing. But important things were needed to be dealt with, important facts were needed to be dug out. "What? Richard left at dawn? All--all of them were up till dawn?"

"Oh, yes, my dear," Marie chirped in her crisp, British accent. "they were all so worried for you, especially Master Richie. I've never seen him so worried and tensed, you know, out of the three of them, Master Richie is the one one who was always very soft from the inside, emotional, sensitive...."

Jean smiled. "Why...was he here till dawn?"

Marie giggled, splashing the bacon in the pan, mixing it up with the fresh cream, sauteed onions and peas. "He...he sat with you for hours, bandaged your head and...."

"And?"

Marie looked here and there. "You had fever so he sponged your head with water. And all this while, Master Alex and his lady, Faith were sitting in the living room, all worried about you."

Jean had grown overly emotional by the time Marie had finished narrating yesterday's events. She stayed silent and then nodded at the old woman. "Oh, by the way, Marie, your way of speaking is so aristocratic, it's as if I'm in the set of a classical, Hallmark movie."

Marie's cheek was tainted with red as she smiled. "Aw, thank you, my dear."

Jean nodded, making her way outside the house. The garden was really beautiful, considering how Faith used to tell her about this. A short, path was paved between two grassbeds of greenery, the plants were lush, and mystically leafy and verdant. The flowering plants, on the other hand, stood straight, shining gold endlessly as the sunlight hit them. The flowers were tenacious blossoms, a lovely bunch of red, blue, pink, yellow and purple, there were crocuses, lillies, sunflowers, and also a heavenly red thatch of roses that had bloomed like it was meant to be.