Chapter Twenty Seven

Jean knew Richard had investigated into this matter, so hiding the truth from him wouldn't do her any good. She knew Alan had pushed her in front of the truck, but the reason behind that was still unknown. She really didn't know what could've instigated him to get her almost killed. Fear gripped her more than she cared to admit.

Richard's arms were wrapped around her, and though she was getting her dose of comfort, she felt anxious. She knew Alan bone by bone; he was a devil in disguise. His orientation, likes and tastes made her shiver with utter disgust. She remembered, till now, the terror was alive in her heart, living and breathing, preventing her every move, stunting her functioning.

He was her mother's lover, but indeed, a very dirty one. The vulgur sexual acts they performed were surfacing in front of her eyes, and also how he looked at her, expressing his desire to have her, but at least, her mother was sane enough to restrict him from having her daughter.

Jean gulped down her saliva, as her throat became as dry as a sandbox. She pulled out from the embrace, and looked at Richard. "I don't know why he did that." She told him before he could ask her the probable reason.

"Are you...scared of him? Did he--"

"No, I'm not." She said fast, holding his shoulders. "I just know him as my senior, he came to meet me, but I don't know why he did that."

She winced as she lied. She hated lying to him. She knew Alan more than just a senior, and they had a history behind, but the reason for him to kill her? She had no idea about it.

Richard put a finger on her chin and made her look up at him. His eyes were burning into her, and for a second, she thought she was gonna fall like ashes to the ground. "Jean, nothing will happen to you, I promise. He's not gonna come near you, again."

"He's asking to meet me," She said, squirming.

"You'll not meet him!" He said, passive agressively, staring deep into her eyes. "Until I get the video evidence of the accident, you're not going anywhere near him. He'll be in jail, I promise you that."

Seeing him like that, made her afraid; he hadn't seen this side of him. But she loved that she was the reason of his possessiveness. She liked this side of him, and hence, gave him a small nudge. "Okay, tiger. Relax."

He flinched at her words. "Tiger, really Jean?"

She nodded. When they descended downstairs, Madeline was already in the kitchen, dusting off the shelves. "Good morning, Richard."

"Morning, Maddy. This is Jean, the one I-"

"The one you told me about," Madeline stared at Jean, holding her gaze for a long time. "oh, she's a beauty. I've never seen such a peculiarly pretty woman. Bless you, my dear. You're a peach."

Jean blushed. "Oh, thank you so much, Maddy. Can I call you that?" She bit her tongue. And the housekeeper nodded I'm agreement.

She had never heard so many compliments of herself. Mostly, people didn't complement her. Except Faith, that kind woman never failed to praise her from day to day. Apart from her, nobody really cared about her looks, her red hair and blue eyes. She was different, and she was aware of that; she was never beautiful as other girls, she was different and she didn't know if being different was good or bad.

She passed a smile at Madeline, and then looked at Richard. "We're getting late."

He nodded. "Yes, that we are. Come on," He held her hand and dragged her outside.

The sudden gesture made her heart flutter with excitement. She had never experienced this, someone taking her arms and dragging her somewhere, someone taking care of her so much. Her mind abruptly sparked with a memory that she had thought she would tell him.