Chapter 36: Regrets

-Guess Who!-

If was something I dreaded the most, it was the feeling of losing control. Especially of yourself.

I wanted nothing more but to punch all of these dunderheads unconscious and free every agent from their confines. But I can't. I could only watch as they cackled, scheming, plotting. It was like I was a helpless spirit who couldn't do anything even if I tried.  I wasn't in control. And it's killing me.

I hated this. I hated what Lennox did. I hated myself for not realising that there was someone behind me. I hated myself for letting my personal loathing for the man blind me from sensing the others that might be lurking as I glared.

But who could blame me? Who could blame a teenage girl who had witnessed first hand, her parent's demise? Or had once again faced the killer that had severed the string of their existence?

It was never the money. I had to find that out the hard way during my last encounter with the menace.

"Your parents are weak," he snarled, the side of his face covered with blood from a large gash on his forehead.

"They never deserved to be in the agency. My brother is a stupid man!"

"How can you do that?" I had asked, my voice soft. "How can you kill your own sister?" A manical grin covered his face. He spat out,

"Gertrude was never my sister to begin with. Her mother was a whore just like her. And I had enjoyed every moment as they pleaded for me to spare their worthless lives."

"But you didn't. You killed them," I gritted out, my hand clenching tighter around the gun I was holding. Lennox looked thoughtful.

"I did do that, didn't I?"

I could've ended his life right then. But I didn't. Another regret.

Lennox was kept in an AXION facility for half a year before he managed to break out. It was at the same time as Rouge's clandestine relationship with Craig ended.

I love my sister. I would do anything for her. But our uncle had told me she needed to learn her lesson. So I left on a mission alone as she underwent reclusion.

Rouge never knew of Lennox and I's conversation. No one did.

"Walker! Crentin!" I heard myself, my other self, yell out as I spot the two men making their way towards a utility closet. Both of them froze before they turned, and shot me annoyed looks.

'My other self' narrowed my eyes at them. I saw Crentin visibly gulp before he made his way towards me. Walker hesitated however, and looked at the door once again before he shook his head and followed.

"Assist Detrov and Sanders on the 12th floor. There's seems to be some sort of problem," both men nodded and strode off. My head turned towards the closet the two were approaching earlier. I shook my head and turned, using the master control ID on the lift to unlock it. In my head, I had began panicking. But my body wasn't. It remained calm, stoic.

The lockdown part was over, and in an hour, the gaseous poison will make its way towards the vents  that will kill every AXION agent in the building. Part of my mind was happy Rouge was still held captive by Lennox's men. But the bigger part of my mind? It wished she was free and is on her way to save everyone from their impending deaths.

I would die knowing I was the cause of why all of these things happened. I could not let AXION fall.

'Please,' I begged my body. 'Stop.'

I was slowly approaching my destination.

20th floor...

27th...