Checking In

Quinn took a deep breath as she answered her phone. "Hey."

"Hey, baby." Puck replied softly. "I'm sorry it took me a few weeks to be able to call you, but I wanted to hear your voice and let you know I'm safe."

"Good." Quinn said. "We miss you. Do you wanna talk to Beth?"

"In a minute." Puck answered. "I miss you, too. I wanted to see how you're doing."

Quinn didn't say anything.

"How are you doing?" Puck asked. "And how was the doctor's appointment?"

"I'm okay." Quinn said, taking a deep breath. "The doctor said that my body took care of everything, so I don't need to go through any surgery or anything like that."

"Okay, good." Puck responded. "How do you feel?"

"She also said this doesn't mean we won't be able to have another baby in the future." Quinn added.

"I'm not worried about that right now. I'm worried about you." Puck stated. "I feel bad about leaving when I did."

"You didn't have a choice." Quinn pointed out.

"I know, but I wanted to be there for you, especially at that appointment." Puck explained. "I can't stop thinking about it. Did Santana go with you?"

"I went by myself." Quinn replied.

"Q." Puck sighed.

"I didn't tell anyone yet." Quinn informed Puck. "I'm just trying not to think about it."

"How do you feel?" Puck wondered.

"I'm okay." Quinn said. "I've been trying to take it one day at a time and just focus on Beth."

"Yeah." Puck sighed.

"I should let you talk to her. She's really enjoying first grade so far." Quinn noted. "I'll go grab her."

"Quinn, wait." Puck said. "Do me a favor."

"What?" Quinn questioned Puck.

"Don't keep this to yourself forever." Puck requested. "If you need anything, call Jake. Or Santana. Don't just sit there blaming yourself or dealing with this on your own. None of it is your fault. Okay?"

"Okay." Quinn repeated.

"I love you." Puck reminded Quinn. "And I'm sorry I'm not there. I'll talk to you soon."

"I love you, too. Be safe."

-

Quinn paused as she heard someone knock on the door.

"Quinn, it's Jake."

"Jake?" Quinn repeated, getting up and opening the apartment door.

"Can I come in?" Jake requested.

"Sure, but you know Noah's away, right?" Quinn asked. "And Beth's at school."

"I know." Jake nodded as he stepped inside and looked at Quinn while she closed the door behind him. "I came to see you."

"Me?" Quinn furrowed her eyebrow. "Why?"

"Puck told me what happened." Jake blurted.

"He shouldn't have asked you to come check on me." Quinn stated.

"He didn't. I just wanted to make sure you're okay." Jake replied. "Especially since he's not here."

"I'm fine." Quinn lied.

"Look, I know you don't really like me, but we're still sort of family and you don't have to be on your own." Jake told Quinn.

"I'm fine." Quinn repeated, opening the apartment door to usher Jake out.

"Okay." Jake said. "But if you and Beth need anything or if you wanna talk, you know where to find me."

Quinn bit her lip as she watched Jake walk out. She closed the door behind him and stood with her back against it, taking a deep breath.

-

Quinn was laying in bed curled up in a ball while she sobbed. The bed always felt much bigger without Puck in it, and things were so hard without him.

"Mommy?" Beth said as she came into the room. She frowned. "Why are you crying?"

"I'm okay." Quinn told Beth as she wiped her eyes. "You're home early. Who brought you home?"

"I did." Santana replied, appearing beside Beth. "Hey, squirt, why don't you go unpack your stuff and get started on your homework? I'll be right there to help you."

"Okay." Beth nodded before she went running off.

"I was gonna head home, but I don't wanna leave when you're not okay." Santana noted as she sat down on the bed.

"I'm fine." Quinn lied.

"You're not." Santana shook her head. "And we can talk about it if you want."

"It's so hard." Quinn cried as she wiped her eyes. "I thought Noah being gone would get easier, but it hasn't. Especially now."

Santana furrowed her eyebrow.

"I'm exhausted." Quinn confessed. "And I don't mean to complain because I love Beth and I know Noah's made plenty of sacrifices for me, but it's so hard to keep it together every day."

"You're allowed to fall apart." Santana told Quinn. "But you have to pick yourself back up again. Puck will be back. And you're doing a great job with Beth. She's lucky to have you."

"I just feel so alone." Quinn said softly.

"You're not alone." Santana promised. "And if you ever need help, all you have to do is ask. One of us will be there."

Quinn nodded slowly. "Thank you."

"Of course." Santana smiled as she wrapped her arms around Quinn and hugged her.

-

"Hello?"

"Hey." Quinn said. "It's Quinn."

"Hey, Quinn." Jake replied. "What's up?"

"What are you doing today?" Quinn asked.

"Nothing." Jake answered. "What's up?"

"I realized I was a little rude to you when you came by a few weeks ago." Quinn responded. "So I was hoping I could make it up to you and buy you lunch. Beth's at Santana's."

"You don't have to do that." Jake told Quinn.

"I want to." Quinn insisted.

"Okay." Jake gave in. "Thanks."

"Text me where you wanna eat and I'll meet you there." Quinn added before hanging up the phone.

Quinn finished getting ready and headed to meet Jake.

"Hey." Jake smiled when he saw Quinn.

"Hey." Quinn smiled back.

"Thanks for doing this." Jake said as the pair sat down at a table. "You really didn't have to."

"I just wanted to make sure I wasn't a bitch to you." Quinn replied.

"You weren't." Jake chuckled. "But after what you went through, you're allowed to be a little bit of a bitch."

Quinn smiled slightly. "Thanks."

Jake nodded. "I know I'm not him, and I know you don't like me, but I just wanna make sure you know that I'm here if you ever need anything."

"I know." Quinn nodded back. "Thanks, Jake."

Jake grinned.

"So." Quinn said. "Who said I didn't like you?"

"Uh, no one had to say it." Jake muttered with a small smile.

"You're a lot like Noah, you know." Quinn told Jake. "You can be kind of an asshole, but you have a good heart."

"Thank you?" Jake laughed.

Quinn smirked and shook her head.

"Maybe we can try getting to know each other better so we can get along." Jake suggested. "Puck would really like that."

"Yeah." Quinn said. "I'd like that, too."