XXIII. THE FIRST PERSON WHO KNOWS

VICTORIA'S POV

"I think I'm going to need to tell my brother. He basically already knows. I'll only tell him if you're comfortable with him knowing at this moment." Thea said as me and her walked to her house after school. It was hard to hang out at mine because of my father finding out about us so we figured that we'd hang out at her house for the time being.

"How does he know?" I asked, looking confused at her.

We far from school so it was safe for us to hold hands but, still, we did it discreetly just in case.

"He saw you winking at me yesterday and then he turned to me with an obvious look. I told him I'll explain later but I never did because I came back late when everyone was asleep." she explained, chuckling

"Oh, makes sense. And, of course you can tell him I think I'll tell Nica too. They can know because they're family. I'm sorry if what I'm doing is a little toxic because I'm literally making you lie to your best friends and parents. If it's a problem then we can tell people." I said and she gave my hand a gentle, reassuring squeeze. "I'm just scared that if we tell people it might get out to my dad and I'm scared of his reaction because he's the only older person I have that's always there for me and if he doesn't support me it'll be hard on me."

"Don't worry, it's completely fine." she smiled at me. "When I first dated a girl I didn't tell anyone, except Luca, for half a year. Take as long as you need, my love."

"Thank you. Also, I don't know if anyone has ever told you but you have a beautiful smile." I told her and she laughed.

I'll say it once again, that laugh will kill me one day.

"No, no one's ever told me that. But, thank you. You have pretty eyes, they're a beautiful colour." she said and I smiled shyly. "Did I make Victoria De Angelis shy?" Thea joked mockingly.

"No." I said, scoffing. "I'm just grateful to have you."

"Me too, Vica. Me too." she said.

I love how she calls me Vica. No one else does, everyone either calls me Victoria or Vic.

We soon reached the house and then Althea unlocked the door, walking in.

"I don't think anyone's home." she said after hearing the house being silent.

"No, no, I'm home!" exclaimed her brother from the living room.

"Should I tell him now?" she whispered to me.

"Go for it. He'll be the first person who knows." I said, smiling excitedly.

She took my hand and walked towards the entrance to the living room. She stopped and poked her head in, not showing her hand or me.

"Luca, you saw her yesterday but I didn't get to introduce you two. This," she pulled me to her and showed me to her brother. "is Vica, Victoria, my girlfriend." she looked at me and smiled saying those last two words. I smiled back at her.

"Oh, my. I knew it!" he exclaimed, standing up from the sofa and dropping the book he was reading. "I fucking knew it! I told you Pandora!"

He pointed at the dog that was laying down next to him.

We both looked at him in confusion but he just ignored our looks.

"That reminds me I should probably call my boyfriend. I told him I'd call and visit him when I'm back in Rome but with everything going on I completely forgot." he said and I raised my eyebrows. I didn't know Luca had a boyfriend.

"Yeah, sorry about that." Althea chuckled nervously.

"Hey, hey, don't be. No one's to blame, like I told you yesterday: you're stronger than I could ever be. But, since when?" he asked.

"Yesterday." I decided to speak up as me and Althea sat down opposite him. "When Althea tried to run away again I followed her, we started to talk and then everything just happened."

"Seriously, I cannot thank you enough for that." he said, smiling at me. "Althea might have not come home for a long time if it wasn't for you."

I smiled, I could tell just how much he cared for his sister. It was obvious they had a very strong bond and this whole thing was just going to make it even stronger.

"It was nothing." I said. "I cared about her so I tried to follow her since I knew she could trust me."

"I need some water." said Althea, standing up and Pandora did too, jumping around Althea. "Do any of you want anything?"

"I have a glass of water here so no thanks." said Luca, smiling at his sister.

"Water with ice and lemon would do." I said and she nodded, walking to the kitchen.

I tensed up, being left alone with her brother after just telling him I was dating his sister wasn't the greatest thing, I knew what was going to happen.

"No need to be so tense." he laughed, moving to sit next to me. "I know how it feels to be in your shoes and be dating the same gender, being scared of people's opinions and stuff like that. It's all bullshit, don't worry no one really cares they just want to bring you down and make you feel bad for being who you are. I am her older brother, though, so I have to say, if you hurt her I'll hurt you." he whispered the last bit with a straight face but then he smiled and I got relieved. "I'm only joking. But, please, don't hurt Althea. You see what she's going through and what she has been going through for the past year. Please don't add onto that. I'm not forcing you to be with her even when you don't want to anymore but please, if so, just let her down gently."

I smiled. "Of course. I won't hurt her. I think she might be the one. I know we haven't really even been dating for a day but the things I feel for her, I've never felt like that for anyone ever before."