XXXIV. YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT CAN HAPPEN

"Luca, I have a thing I need to confess." I said, walking into his room without knocking. I saw Adrian, his boyfriend, sitting on the window sill with the window wide open as he smoked his cigarette. "Oh my, Adrian! I haven't seen you for months!"

He turned around and smiled widely. He stood from the window sill and walked over to hug me.

"Hey! Hey! You turned into a goth!" he joked and I laughed.

"It's just a bit of black eyeshadow around my eyes." I waved my hand.

"What did you need to confess?" asked Luca when I sat on his desk which was next to his bed when Adrian went back to the window.

"It's about Vica." I said.

"Victor?" he asked, pointing discreetly at Adrian with his head. I got his hint, I don't think it'd be good to tell Adrian yet.

"Yeah, Victor." I said but, before I could continue, Adrian's phone rang out on Luca's nightstand.

"Hey, dear! Your mother's calling." he exclaimed to Adrian who ran to answer the phone.

"Well, that's me." he said, after he hung up. "She needs me to help prepare the family dinner."

"But that's not for hours." said Luca. "Unless I heard wrong. It was seven in the evening, right?"

"Yeah, but you know my mother." Adrian shrugged. "Well, I'll just go help her."

He went forward to kiss Luca. "Bye, love. See you later."

"Bye, bye. Love you!" waved Luca, smiling.

"Love you too." Adrian answered.

Adrian hugged me and said his goodbye.

"OK, carry on." said Luca as soon as Adrian left.

"I thought about this a bit and I think I'm in love with her - him." I corrected myself quickly.

"No way!" he exclaimed loudly. "My little sister's in love!"

"You're lucky it's only us and Mateo in the house." I whispered harshly to him. "Wait, where is Mateo?"

"In his room, he's asleep." said Luca and I nodded.

"I just - is it too early?" I asked, starting to walk back and forth.

"It's never too early, Althea. How long has it been since you started dating?" he asked.

"Uh, a little over a month." I said. "The day you found out mom and dad are getting divorced."

"Exactly, me and Adrian said it after two weeks and for one of my friends it took her and her girlfriend almost a month." he said and I got reassured a little. "See? It's never too early or too late."

"Really?" I asked. "I don't know if she feels the same. Well one time she over call she said 'I l - ' and then she stopped herself from continuing. Was that it or . . ?" I trailed off.

"When did she say that?" Luca asked.

"When we were ending the call." I answered.

"Do you think she's in love with you?" he asked.

I thought about everything for a bit. The teaching me how to make delicious cake, the telling each other secrets, the surprising me with kisses randomly when we're alone, the smiles I get from her, the glances I get from her, her staring at me when she think I don't see it.

"I, uh, I think so." I said, unsurely. "Yeah, she might be."

"Does she stare at you when she thinks you're not looking?"

"Yeah, she does."

"Does she share her secrets with you?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Does she sometimes trail off when looking into your eyes?" he asked.

"Yeah she does, a lot actually." I answered.

He raised his eyebrows meaningly at me and I gasped, covering my mouth with my left hand.

"Oh, my God!" I exclaimed. "Vica might be in love with me!"

"Hell yeah she might be!" he shouted and we both jumped around. "Now your quite sure she is, the real question is if you love her?"

I thought for a couple seconds. "I am. I really am." I smiled at him and he jumped up and down.

"Go tell her then!" he said.

"Not now. I still need to think. I'll do it as soon as possible." I said and he nodded.

"Just make sure you're not too late." I looked at him in confusion. "You never know what can happen."

"Alright, I'll do it as soon as I can." I said.

I wasn't lying, I wanted to do it as soon as I can. No time to waste.