5

"Lana...."

"Alana...."

"Lana...Lana girl it's Mo...."

"and Jade. Love are you ok?.............how long has she been in there?"

"I don't know..."

The voices beyond the small pine-scented bathroom felt miles away from her. The vibrating bass of the music downstairs pulsed beneath Alana as she sat with her back pressed against the door. Several minutes passed and she'd already used the toilet for what it was intended. Now she just stared at it, her swollen eyes hooded and red from her hot salted tears.

Fists pounded against the door repeatedly, the sound of her friend's voices muffled behind it.

She swallows with a grimace, still tasting the bitterness of the returned alcohol on her tongue. She knew she couldn't hide in there forever but the tsunami of regret and shame kept her planted.

I shouldn't have drunk so much.

I shouldn't have come upstairs.

I shouldn't have opened that door.

I shouldn't have come to this damn party.

I shouldn't have.......

I shouldn't have trusted him.

Again.

She flinched at the sound of the doorknob jerking. It turns stiffly and a frustrated huff follows.

"Is there a key or something?"  Jade looks to Alesha, who shrugs.

"Tae? You think Yoongi would know? Where is he?" Both women turn around to Jimin and Taehyung, who was beyond the point of losing his patience.

"Fuck a key, I'm bout to strong-arm this bitch...watch out.." he mumbles, fanning his hands to get Alesha and Jade to clear the space in front of the door.  Just as he's pushing the sleeves of his crewneck up his forearms in preparation, the lock turns and everyone in the hall goes silent as Alana slowly emerged.

Alesha, Jade, Taehyung, and Jimin all looked on with caution in their faces and Alana looked around timidly as a blush of embarrassment tingled her skin. Everyone was there except Yoongi.

And Dez.

She swallows again.

"What yall doing..." is all she can think to say, tucking a stray braid behind her ear. Alesha and Jade exchange a look, Jade looking over her shoulder at Taehyung.

" Yoongi came to get us...he told us what happened. Are you..."

"Is he gone?" Alana interrupts her softly and Jade's mouth shuts at the question.

"Yeah...he's gone babe.." she resumes. Alana nods in understanding and lifts her shaking hand to snuff her nose. She keeps her eyes low, level with everyone's waist and she says nothing after that. Alesha, who had been silent since the door opened, reaches for her.

"I think it's time to head out. Give me your keys..."

Alana obediently pulls the jingling stretchy pink spiral from her wrist, handing them over. Tears sprung anew in her eyes and her head droops, her shoulders caving in on themselves. She thought she was done crying but alas...

Alesha pulls her into her chest without hesitation and held her as she cried.

"What's wrong with me?" Alana sobbed into her friend's neck. Jade fills her cheeks with air briefly to let out a heavy exhale, turning her head to dab at the corner of her eye before stepping in to put an arm around Alana.  Taehyung and Jimin standby awkwardly, both glancing back towards the stairs as a few people were coming up.