36

"You coming home for Thanksgiving right?"

Demi's mother asks the question for the 4th time that month on their weekly night call, and her daughter's initial response is a robotic head nod and upward rolling eyes as if she could see her through the phone.

It wasn't as if she'd missed any other holiday
at home and with Thanksgiving well over a month and a half away, she really didn't get why her mama was pressing the damn issue.

"Of course I am. Regina's bringing the baby and the kids?" she counters, untucking the phone between her ear and shoulder as she places an airpod in and settles into the chair at her desk with a sigh.

It was a typical Saturday night for her, reveling in the silence on her dorm's floor since most of the other students were out partying or home visiting their families for the weekend.

She was never one to go out unless it had something to do with her sorority and she didn't mind it one bit. Demi preferred to stay in any way with her cozy oversized sleeping shirts and slippers, gaming or catching up on her shows.

The sound of running water and pans clattering faintly backdropped her mother's voice.

"You know she is. Daniel is also bringing that girlfriend of his too," she responds, Demi visualizing the slight bitter grimace on her mama's face. She smirks at the thought.

"Same one from last year?"

At her question, her mother chortles loudly.

"Tuh! Whatchu think?.. I can't even remember the last one's name, bless her heart. I'm bout to tell him to stop bringing strangers to my house unless he put a ring on their finger because I just can't keep up..." she rambles.

Demi laughed at her mother's candor as she recalled the roster of women her younger brother had trailing behind him and through their home since he was in high school. He didn't start being more consistent until he started college but they never lasted more than a year.

"Mmmhm...that'll be the day." Demi purses her lips, glancing up at the mirror across from her briefly. Her long braids cascaded over her shoulder and she eyed the ends mindlessly as she raked her fingers through them.

Her new growth was making her scalp tender and she knew that meant it was time to take them down. But something about the style made her feel things she wasn't quite ready to let go of yet.

Nostalgia being one of them.

She sways in her chair, tossing a glance over her shoulder and toward her bed quickly before resuming her attention to her mother's rambling.

"..better hope I don't call one of them heffas the wrong name one of these days. Anywho..Everyone will be so excited to see you. I'm so glad that after you graduate, you'll have a moment to just settle down. Maybe even bring someone home for a holiday for once." her mother continues, still toiling away at something in her kitchen sink.