Chisato x Reader

I sat beside Chisato in the courtyard of Yuigaoka, the music still playing from my earbuds and slightly audible, as we sat there talking, I thought to myself, hoping for the words I wanted to say to finally come to me, so I could tell her how I feel.

For most of my life, I've felt like I was just cursed to be alone. I'm shy and not great at talking to people, so I tended to be by myself, attending to the plants in the garden and hoping somebody would talk to me and try to connect to me. But they never did. It didn't matter if I was off by myself or silently helping the class, I was still isolated, alone. In the beginning of this year, I even started to think that I was unapproachable, and I worried I wouldn't be able to change it.

In the end our class was starting a group assignment, and the group I was in had Chisato. There had been plenty of times in the past where I kind of thought that maybe somebody from my group would end up interested in me and start to try and talk and connect to me after the assignment was over, but it had never really happened. At least that was the case until during the assignment, Chisato started to talk to me. In our time working together, we ended up talking and being able to get along despite my trouble initiating conversation. I felt like there was at least a small connection there, and while I had been expecting her to go back to ignoring me like it felt everyone did, she didn't.

Since then, I've tried to be a strong, albeit somewhat silent supporter for her, rooting for her in all that she wanted to do. In the end she's told me she considers me her friend and that makes me so very happy, but in the end, I've ended up developing feelings for her that grew into love. But as much as I want to tell her how I feel, I don't know what to say to her. Just simply telling her "I love you" doesn't feel like quite enough to tell her how I feel, but I just don't have the words to put it in any greater way than that.

"Y/n, is something wrong? You went quiet all of a sudden. More than usual I mean." Chisato said

I tried to wave it off "Nah, everything's fine. I just got distracted thinking about something for a second."

"Alright, if you say so." Chisato said "Hey, didn't you say you were going to go take a look at the school garden after school?"

"Yeah, I was actually planning to do that when you left to meet up with your friends in Liella." I said. I like to garden since I find it calming and rewarding, and because of that fact, I've been asked to help give a hand tending to the school's garden. I don't really have much going on, so I'm all for it.

"Actually, do you mind if I come with you? I'm curious about what you do." Chisato asked

"If you want to come with me, I can take care of it now, but it's nothing special. I just do the basic stuff that other people would find a chore more than anything." I said. After all, besides planting and possibly harvesting if you're growing fruits or vegetables or something, it's nothing much.

"That's fine with me." Chisato said "I want to see the care you show for the flowers there."

"Alright." I said, getting up from the bench "Then follow me."

Chisato got up and followed me to the school's garden. For the most part, the only things planted here are flowers of all shapes and colors, and they've finally bloomed too. I went over to the hose where I filled up the watering can and came back to water them. Thankfully the task doesn't take too much brain power, so I made sure I didn't end up tripping like an idiot in front of her.

"Hey, I left some gloves over by the hose the other day. Could you please grab those for me?" I asked, as I had found some weeds under some rose briars in the back of the planter.

"Right, I'll be right back." Chisato said, going off to get them for me. So that I wasn't just wasting time, I made a mental note to myself as to where said weed was and continued to try and water another area that I hadn't gotten to yet. You know, this could be a nice place to confess to her. That is, if I can articulate what I want to say in a way that's good enough for this. I remember in a book I was reading a bit back, when the protagonist confessed to the woman he loved, he ended up deciding to just say what came to his mind at that moment. Maybe it could help me say it the way I want to, or make me sound like an idiot, but I'm willing to roll that dice.

A moment later, Chisato returned with the gloves. "Here they are." she said

I put the watering can down as she handed them to me, I said "Thanks, I saw a weed under the roses, and I'd rather not stick my bare arms in there."

"So you missed a weed then?" Chisato asked

"Well I haven't checked the garden for weeds in a little while, so I should probably check for any in a bit." I said as I walked over to the planter and carefully got my hand to where the weed was and pulled it out. "But there's actually something I want to tell you beforehand."

"What is it?" Chisato asked as I took off the gloves for while I told her how I felt.

I took a deep breath and decided to just say what came to mind. "Chisato, I-" I said before my mind froze. I didn't know what to say, and nothing came to my mind. It's not working for me, and so I figured that I may as well abort the plan and just confess to her once I can articulate how I feel about her in a way that I feel is right. For now I'll just fill in the gap with something simple. "I just wanted you to know that I'm glad I met you."

Chisato smiled and said "I'm glad I met you too Y/n."

"Right." I said, a storm of self-loathing building up in my chest as I tried to turn back and grab the gloves again. However, I guess my frustration wasn't as well hidden as I thought.

"Y/n, what's wrong? You look like you're getting upset about something." Chisato said, her smile falling and a look of concern now growing on her face.

I sighed, trying to calm myself down some and let out some of my frustration as I told her "I just am a little bit frustrated that I can't really tell you how I feel due to the fact that when it counts, my sentences are short and simple like always."

Chisato walked up to me and then gave me a hug "Y/n, that's okay. I know you have some issues communicating and you just saying what you can is enough. Whatever you want to tell me, I'm sure I'll be able to tell how you feel no matter what."

I took in a deep breath before I sighed. I want to tell her how much I love her, and how being with her makes me happy, but I know the words won't be able to articulate how I want outside of my mind. But she's right, even if I can't say it how I'd like, I just need to believe that she can read beyond my words and see just how I really feel. Throwing away my doubt and pulling out my faith in her ability to understand the quiet person I am, I finally said to Chisato the words I've wanted to tell her for so long. "Chisato, I love you."

Chisato then held me tighter and with a smile said "I love you too Y/n. And I've loved you for a while now."

My heart brimming with joy, I returned her hug, and in a moment I hadn't expected to happen so soon, we shared a brief but wonderful kiss. I love this girl with all my heart and while I may not be much, I want to at least be a steady part of her life that she can rely on now and into the future.

--------------------------------------------

A/n: My oneshot for this undoubtedly cute girl is finally out. The main thing I've wanted to tell you all in this is that while you may not always be able to put your feelings into some fancy or eloquent way that can perfectly describe how you feel, saying at least what you can is sometimes more than enough, and in the end people will be able to find the meaning in your words.