Sumire x Reader

As my lungs burned and muscles strained, I let out all of my frustration towards myself and my situation into my throw, as I rotated my hips and threw my practice partner over my shoulder. After he hit the ground, I gave him a second to recover before I held my hand out and pulled him up.

"I'm gonna go in a minute." I said to the rest of the Judo club as I walked over to my water bottle. I'll probably take a shower to get the sweat off before going to see Sumire, as she should be at her home by the time I'm done.

"L/n, you can't keep leaving so early. Last time I checked, you were one of the youngest people in the club." the president said

"Yeah, and sadly I'm one of the best so why not just let it go." I snapped back as I turned to walk away. I hate doing judo, but I don't really feel like I have a choice about it as I am right now. But that just exacerbates the bad mood I'm in.

By the time I got through the showers and changed back into my school uniform, I saw that the time was around when Sumire said she'd be getting back from her practice at Yuigaoka. And so I started my walk over there, sending her a text that I wanted to see what she's up to in a bit.

"Like always, she's reaching out towards the stars while I'm stuck down here..." I muttered to myself.

I've known Sumire since we were both pretty young, my family living pretty close to her family's shrine. Because of that, I got to play with her and learn about her as well as trying my best to support her in her endeavors in show business. We even went to the same school until this year now that we're entering high school. However, while she's always dreamed and worked hard to become famous, I'm stuck without any particular ambitions and talents beyond a sport I've long since gotten tired of. She's worried about not ever being able to stand out in the past, but she's always shined the brightest in my life. But in the end, I've never told her. She's always worked so hard for her ambitions while I don't have anything, and so I can't tell her. It feels like we're close, but in the end so far away and in the end, I don't feel like I don't have any right to tell her how I feel, to tell her that I love her.

As I climbed up the steps towards her family's shrine, I saw her waiting on a nearby bench. And as I walked up to her, her eyes met with mine, and she smiled.

"Hey Sumire, how did things go for you?" I said

"They were great, I've only been an idol for a little while, but it's been fun so far." Sumire said

"That's great to hear." I said as I sat down beside her

"What about you? How are things in the judo club?" Sumire asked

"Fine I guess." I said, making sure to not mention the fact that I snapped at the president earlier.

"Y/n, you do realize I've been around you long enough that I know you're lying." Sumire said

"Huh? No you don't." I responded

Sumire smiled confidently and said "I do. Your tell for when you're lying is that you'll always cross your arms and put your left hand to your chin. So come on, tell me what's wrong."

I sighed as a small smile formed on my lips. "Yeah, I guess you have been around me long enough to notice my tells. The truth is just that I'm sick of judo. I've never been the biggest about it, but I apparently have a talent for it so I try to stick to it, but I'm just getting to the end of my rope." I hate telling her this stuff because I worry about burdening her with something that is in no way her issue, but she can be stubborn and I dunno if you would just let me keep it secret

"Why are you doing it if you don't like doing it?" Sumire said

"Why?" I repeated in response before going quiet for a moment. Because outside of it I don't really have any talent? That the only reason I've done it as long as I have because people expect me to do this stuff? Should I really tell her that? How would I say that? Those thoughts swirled around in my head until I let out a frustrated sigh and said "Well I have no clue what else I should do. It's not like I have anything else I'm good at."