Maki x Reader

I wake up with my head killing me and find myself looking up at an unfamiliar roof and in an unfamiliar bed.

I began to speak to myself, "Where am I? And what am I doing here last thing I remember doing was walking to class and-"

"Then you passed out in the middle of the hall. I saw it happen and got help to bring you to the infirmary."

I looked over and saw a girl with red hair and purple eyes who did not look pleased and was sitting in a chair beside the bed I'm in. It was my friend Maki although I haven't really talked to her much recently because I've been spending a ton more time than before studying.

"Hey Maki, how've you been?" I said as I began to get out of the bed but Maki stopped me and pushed me back into the bed.

"Don't act so casual right now! And stop trying to get out of the bed, rest." Maki said.

"Alright, alright" I responded. I don't think I can really argue with her right now because with my head aching as much as it does even the quiet things being said right now are making my head pulsate in a really painful way. I guess I'll just rest until Maki leaves then after a few minutes I'll leave.

Maki then looked at me with an annoyed look and said "While you're here, how about you explain why you've been so distant recently. You were gone for a week and now you're always off who knows where."

I really don't want to talk about this so I answered "I've been busy studying."

"We both know that you barely study so tell me the truth." Maki said

"I'm being serious, I know I didn't study much so I'm studying extra hard to make up for lost time." I said only half lying.

"Oh really? Studying so hard you pass out? That wouldn't happen unless you've been ignoring sleep to study." Maki responded sharply, I could tell that she was getting more upset just from her tone.

"I don't want to talk about it okay? Besides, it doesn't concern you." I answered.

"Oh really, it doesn't concern me? Well it started to concern me the moment you passed out in the hall stupid." Maki said. I can tell that what I said really has upset her, but it's the truth.

"No it didn't. Look, I don't want to get you involved okay?" I said.

Maki was starting to get more visibly upset before she said "Yes it does concern me and I'm involved whether you like it or not and since you seem to not understand why I'll put it this way: A big idiot is ignoring his friends and working himself to the point he collapses. How am I not involved?"

I moved to get off on the side of the bed that was opposite to where Maki was but she got up and grabbed me by the back of my collar, stopping me.

"Let me go already! I have things to be doing!" I said

"Not until you tell me what's wrong!"

At this point I'm so upset that without thinking I shouted out "My dad is dead! So just leave me alone! You don't know what it's like to think of simple things and realize that you'll never see him again! I was a massive disappointment to him like I am to everyone so I have to try and make it up to him before I see him again so that when I die he'll see me and realize that his son wasn't a failure." After blurting all that out I began to cry as I forced my collar out of her grasp and ran out of the room.

I could tell that Maki was following after me and I was done talking about it so I couldn't slow down. I kept going for a while and once I felt like I lost her I stopped and caught my breath. My body felt like lead and I was exhausted even though I know I didn't get too far. I decided to leave the school for the day and head home. School would be out in a bit anyway and there I can get back to work in peace. I began to head towards the exit to the school and tried to stop thinking about Dad. He died in his sleep of illness a couple weeks ago and my mother found him. I was awake at the time due to some trouble sleeping and now, whenever it's late at night my gut starts to turn and I can't stop myself from remembering that night. I reached the exit to the school and I began to walk out. I then felt a hand grab my sleeve.

"Just leave me alone." I said, while trying to pull away.

"No, you're just going to continue working yourself to the bone."Maki said

"So what if I do? Why do you care? You can just ignore me and let me do this!"I shouted

She then yelled "It's because I love you stupid! I can't stand seeing you like this!" Once she realized what she just said, her whole face turned a bright red.

Wait, what? She loves me? "Why?" began to say "I'm just a disappointing failure of a person. I don't deserve your love"

She then grabbed me and tried to hug me which since she's a bit shorter than me,ended up with her face on my chest which I'm guessing once she realized it she probably started even blushing harder before. "You aren't a failure dummy... Please don't call yourself that."

The words she said made me realize that I may be trash but I want to be able to be by her side. I can't consider myself anything but a disappointment but if she really believes that I'm not then I'll just try to believe her.

--------------------------------------------------

Ten years later...

Me and Maki are together now as husband and wife. She's now taken over her family's hospital and I decided to support her by becoming a lawyer and helping deal with the hospital's legal concerns. I still sometimes doubt whether I have succeeded but I can at least believe that I've become someone Dad can be proud of.

-------------------------------------------------

A/n: I got to say that sometimes the universe has good timing because as I was writing this it was storming outside. I want to say that I feel like stories may show the immediate effect of a loved ones death okay but they have trouble showing that like a scar, to pain never fully disappears from your mind. Also please remember that even if you can't find worth in yourself that there are people who see a ton of it in you.