Rin x Reader

"All right, one tsukumen, and one shio." I said as I placed down a bowl and a plate with a cup besides it. I then left them to their food and went back to work.

For longer than I remember my dad has run a ramen shop called Uemota-Ya. Uemoto-Ya is somewhat small and it's been around since when my grandpa was my age. Since it's small and kind of out of the way we don't have a ton of customers but I'm proud to say that most of them come back again and it's all thanks to how good Dad's ramen is. He's always done all the cooking and everything by himself and he's slowly teaching me how to make good ramen like him even though I'm not particularly good yet.

I then heard the door open and I turned around to notice it's a girl with short, orange hair. It was Rin, a girl who comes by really often and as I found out is a school idol. When she first started coming by, I was surprised with just how often she was coming to Uemoto-Ya and I ended up interested in what kind of person she was so during my break one day I tried to talk to her a bit. She has so much more energy than anyone I know and is super friendly. Since then, if she's here and I'm on my break I'll come sit by her and talk for a little bit.

"Hey Rin. What'd you like?" I asked, happy to see her.

She smiled and said "A bowl of tonkatsu please."

"Got it. One bowl of tonkatsu ramen comin' up." Dad said from the kitchen. "And Y/n, we've slowed down a bit compared to earlier and you were working hard so feel free on a break."

"Thanks Dad. I'll take you up on that." I responded.

"Oh but remember the story I told you last night." Dad said teasingly.

I began to blush a little bit and muttered out "Got it." Why did he have to bring that up now? I understand what he's implying but this is a terrible time for that.

------------------------------

The Previous Night...

As me and Dad finished dinner and headed to the couch, Dad's expression then became a bit more serious and he put his hand on my shoulder. "Y/n, have I ever told you about how I met your mother?"

I thought back to see if he had but nothing rang a bell. My mom died shortly after I was born so I don't really know much about her besides what Dad has told me but I know for sure I would've loved her. "Nope."

He then said "Would you like to?"

"Sure."

We sat down on the couch and Dad turned to me and began to speak "When I just graduated from High School and your grandpa was still running Uemoto-Ya I did the same stuff as you do now. One day however, a girl about my age came in and ordered some ramen. When I first saw her I thought she was absolutely beautiful so when she was about to leave, I tried to talk to her for a bit and we really hit it off and we agreed we'd talk again sometime."

"So that's how you met her?"

"Nope. But I spent time together with her and her best friend. Eventually, she began to distance herself from me but at that same time her friend still would come by and talk with me. So one day I asked her an important question 'Would you try my ramen?' Like with you, your grandfather taught me slowly over time and so I was still learning myself but I wanted to convey my feelings to her the best I could. So one day where the shop was closed she came by and tried it. After she finished eating is when I then told her that I loved her."

"That's really sweet Dad. But why tell me this now?"

"Well it's because the way you act around that Rin girl reminds me a lot of me and your mother."

I blushed and said "It's not like that! Er well I mean it is but still..."

Dad chuckled and said "Relax, you may not be ready for that yet but someday you will and I want you to be ready for it."

--------------------------------------

Until Rin got her ramen the two of us talked about what we've been up to. Today's been a bit busy so I was kind of tired but that endless energy of hers is positively infectious. When she got her ramen we stopped talking until she finished eating.

When she was done eating and was gonna leave, without even thinking I said "Will you please come by after the shop closes on Saturday?"

Rin smiled "Sure, see you then."

I then headed to the kitchen and said "Hey Dad, do you mind if I use the kitchen after we close on Saturday?"

--------------------------------------

That Saturday...

Since today's Saturday, the store closes early and I can get to work right away. I took a deep breath and worked hard to use everything Dad taught me to make to this ramen good. I guess it's like how Dad said when he first confessed to Mom. I think Dad did that because Grandpa used to always so that your food is to make your customers happy and to convey your feelings through them. I never really understood it when I was little but now I think I might understand it a little.

Soon enough, the door opened and Rin entered "Hey Y/n. Why did you want me to come by?"

I then said "Please try my ramen. It won't be as good as Dad's and I'm still learning but I still want you to try it."

"I'd love to try it. I'm sure it'll be good." Rin responded.

Rin then sat at the counter and watched me work before I served it to her. "I tried to make some tonkotsu. I hope you'll like it"

She said "Itadakimasu," then picked up her chopsticks and tried some. I was extremely tense about what her thoughts would be but considering that she's still eating it's probably not bad. When she stopped eating she said "That was good! I'm happy to hear that I'm one of the first to try your ramen."

"That's because I love you."

She started to blush a little and said "Huh?"

I took a deep breath, came out from behind the counter and said "I love you Rin. Everytime I see you I can't help but smile and my day gets all the better. I wanted to show you how I feel."

Rin then practically jumped into my arms as we began to hug. "I love you too."

------------------------------------------

"And that's how me and your mother started dating. Just like my dad did for me, I'm telling you this now because while you aren't ready for that yet but someday you will and I just hope you remember this" I said to Rei, my son. I smiled and thought about these past twenty-three years that I've been with Rin. Our graduations, us moving in together, me taking over Uemoto-Ya, the day I proposed, and the day I married her. Thinking of all my time with her I wouldn't take back a single thing.

------------------------------------------

A/n: I originally got the beginnings of this story of a reread of The World God Only Know. It's such a good manga and the anime is good too, I really recommend it.