5

The sound of scratching noises filled the quiet room

The sound of scratching noises filled the quiet room. A lamp on the bedside table being enough to provide the needed source of light for the child that hid under her blanket, quietly focusing on her task to not wake her sleeping brother in the bed beside hers.

"...Papa?"

The feather pen, that was busy writing, stopped.

"Papa!"

"Ack!" shuddering with wide eyes as she remembered the most embarrassing (and reckless) thing she has done, a groan escaped her lips as her forehead slammed against the book that sat under a piece of paper.

What the heck was that?! A waterfall of tears fell down from her eyes as she inwardly screamed and scolded herself. Did she seriously tried acting cutesy in front of mass murder, heartless, daughter-killer, tyrannical emperor Claude?!!!!

Her head lifted for a brief moment before she slammed it against the book she was using as a table once more. Eyes trailing at the words she wrote, the words Plan A Failed stood vividly against the parchment of paper.

Plan A: Not getting noticed by Claude and living inside Ruby Palace until she peacefully dies.

Tears stream down once more. Out of all the plans, this was what she had favored as she could simply eat, have fun, sleep with a roof above her head, and live a rich slacker life with her brother. 

Athanasia sighed as she angrily scratched the words, she was too naïve. She honestly thought that everything would be fine as long as she's careful. 'It's not my fault though!' she scowled, 'how could a simple living palace be Claude's living space!'

The Ruby Palace was supposed to  house the concubines and not the Empress. Pulling on her hair, she groaned, 'So why is it so close to the Emperor's Palace?!'

Her small hands crumpled the paper on her hand as blue jeweled eyes trailed down to the second written line: Plan B.

Plan B. Save enough money to escape the palace with Ardy before turning eighteen.

She stared at the paper with a frown on her lips. This plan was still within the realm of possibility. Although she met Claude four years earlier than the novel... it seemed strange that he didn't want to kill either her or her brother at this instant.

'Should I collect more of my pretties?' she wondered, toes wiggling anxiously, 'If Ardy and I were to leave the palace, I could dress up as a maid and Ardy as a worker boy and sneak out the doggy door.'

As much as leaving felt the best option, Athanasia was hesitant of bringing her brother along to a world where she's not even sure she can provide for him. Which leaves the final plan...

Her eyes glanced at the edge of the parchment that sat on her lap.

Plan C: Continue playing cute and steal Claude's heart