38

'That's not the prince?'

Ijekiel swallowed heavily, wincing at the fact that his throat feels dry. Ignoring the feeling of suffocation, his golden eyes were focused on the boy that sat a seat away, right beside the window of the classroom.

The golden hair is still the same, but the eyes...

'I'm sure it was the royal jewels of the Obelian family when I first saw it, but now it's pink?' the young heir of the Alpheus family sighed in visible frustration. 'It's just like the time the princess visited me right before I left.'

After having seen the golden-haired boy in the hallways of the Academy just a few moments prior, Ijekiel was ushered in his classroom by a flustered homeroom instructor. Unable to hear his schoolmates' whines and question through his spiraling mind, the young son of the grand duke continued to walk until a sudden impact made him flinch.

"S-sorry," the silver-haired boy muttered, peering up to see who he had bumped.

The boy tilted his head, and auburn bangs revealed sharp amber eyes. "Heyya okay, dukey boy?"

"Y-yes, of course!" he quietly groaned for stuttering

Gulping as the other boy leaned forward, Ijekiel felt his hammering heart as the boy smiled brightly, "well, ya better be careful. Don't wanna mess with a prince or something, ya know?"

'Prince?!' 

The surprise was enough for Ijekiel to startle the Alpheus heir into dropping his bookbag right on his toes, earning him a yelp of mixed pain and surprise.

The memory of the encounter made Ijekiel frown, 'Yet another questionable person,' glancing at the said amber-eyed boy who sat in-between the supposed prince and himself. 'I'm still unsure if he was merely teasing me and the timing was perfect, or he knows of something I don't. Both leaves me in an uncomfortable state, either way.'

He repressed a sigh. 

'Luckily, our homeroom instructor asked us to take our seats, I truly don't know how to interact with him. Not that anything's wrong with him... just overbearing?'

The him in question was the youngest son of the High Governor. Jascelepius Ivan von Helios(*). Despite being the first male of the Helios' duchy, the boy was not considered as the heir, and rather, the position was given to his older sister. 

Seeing as how his seatmate was doodling on his books rather than listening to the lecture, it made Ijekiel wonder if it was because of being incapable—

Amber eyes flashed to his view, causing the silver-haired boy to flinch violently and drop his book to the ground with a loud thud

"Ijekiel, is something the manner?"

"N-no, no sir!" he squeaked out, quickly retrieving his book and sinking back in his seat, hiding his face away through the leather-bound tool of education within his hands. After a few moments of keeping to himself, he shifted to peek at his side, only to freeze as this time, ruby red eyes were focused on his person.

Ijekiel could swear that those red flashed jewel blue for a momentarily second, before golden-hair fluttered as the boy turned away, the bored look on his face plastered on once more.

Feeling the ability to breathe once more, Ijekiel quietly yet shakily sighed. Will he be able to survive five years in this situation?

Hopefully.